July 15, 2007

Is softball for me?

Jason had softball practice tonight for tomorrow's game and so I went there after dinner to check on things... There were only about six people there and they were taking turns hitting the ball into the outfield and so I asked them if I could try hitting a few.

Let's backup a bit... they are on a league where there has to be at least two or three females on each team and currently, two of the teams females, suck! First, they can't hit, second, if they actually do hit the ball, they don't aim for running fast enough to make it to first, and third, when they are on defense, neither one actually moves to get the ball when it's hit their way...

So, after one of the females was done hitting, I got up to the plate, in my sandals, and got ready to hit. AND I DID PRETTY DARN GOOD! I missed about three pitches, but hit about 10 or more while four or five of those got passed the guys! I was pretty excited and nervous too. All Jason's friends were like, "Jay, where have you been hiding her? and Why hasn't she been playing all summer?" Pretty exciting, huh?

So, I figure, why not? I should start working hard and get into shape for next year and try out. I'm also kind of excited about getting on a team and getting into some kind of sports, anyway!

Oh, yeah, I forgot to tell you guys... when the guys in the outfield asked me when the last time it was that I played, I told them the truth...
my freshman year in high school!!! Pretty cool, huh?

Update: Jason just called to say goodnight and complimented me on my hitting! He said, "You made some really good contact, honey!"
What a way to make my day!

2 comments:

Shannon said...

Baseball/softball puts me in my place everytime. I used to think I was pretty athletic, and every year somehow I attempt to hit at least a few balls. And, every year... I never do. I end up standing at the plate with an earnest prayer of making contact so I wont be embarrased. Then I close my eyes and swing. I'm always suprised when I get a hit, but it is very far and few between. I've realized that I'm a better cheerleader then I am a ball player. Sounds silly I know.

Lori said...

TIP: Don't do what shannon did. Keep your eyes open when the ball is coming at you. I think you'll have a better chance at hitting the ball.

NO OFFENSE SHANNON!