July 29, 2007

Camping rocks! (revised with pictures!)

We got back from the camping trip today and I am absolutely exhausted. The primitive camping trip I imagined was actually quite modernized. We had our own camp ground for all 40 or so of us and it was perfect!
The main campground across the street about a quarter mile away had bathrooms, showers, volleyball/basketball, a small store, and a mini petting zoo complete with two does, two bucks, chickens/roosters, a goat, some kind of foreign squirrel, and a bunny rabbit.
Our fellow campers surprised me quite a bit with their ways of modernizing our camping experience...
We had two golf carts to tote us around the site, go the bathroom or showers, get ice, or joy ride at 3 in the morning (like we did last night, and got us scared out of our wits!)
We also had grills, a full size refrigerator, and a home-built shower full with a wooden floor, a bench, and hot water!
This weekend was just full of fun times. Setting up camp, chilling out, making and eating food, feeding the animals at the petting zoo, playing games at "Club Jay's" (Jay's 'pimp my campsite' setup with stringing lights all over, a stereo, and a table for games). We also played this fun game where you have to throw bean bags and try to make it in the hole (3 points) or at least on the board (1 point) and make it to 21... My team always lost, but I still love the game!We also went canoeing and kayaking in the river for about 8 hours (and I forgot to put on sunscreen and take off my shirt, so I got shirt and swimsuit burn lines... ) in the 50-something degree water, praying that we don't tip, as many of our friends did! But Jason and I were a good team (especially Jason, because my back was hurting and I suck at canoeing so he didn't want me to help, and he was stuck steering for about 3/4, well, maybe it was more like 7/8's of the trip! Poor thing!)
This morning came all too quick but on the way back, Jason and I realized that there's no question about next year!

This is a sign that was in the local grocery/pharmacy/shotgun store... If you can't read it, it says,

"Notice to Thieves and Shoplifters


We can's watch you every minute but we take comfort in the fact


THAT THE LORD DOES!


Please do not let HIM


strike you dead here!


(We'd have to clean up the Mess!)"


I just had to take the picture... WAY too funny!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Francie said...

Hey, I'm not sure who made the previous comment, but it just seemed a little "off" so, sorry!

Rachael said...

Cute pics. Looks like a fun time. I hope you got to use some of the camping gear. Sounds like you guys had it pretty cush.

Francie said...

Cush? You can say that again! And I thought I'd have to make food over a fire!!! I actually ended up making gravy over bread for breakfast and fresh/home-made Eggplant Parmasan, when everyone else ate steak... but then they saw what I was eating and just HAD to have a bite!
I had one of the best camping trips ever and can't wait until next year! I think I'll even bring an icecream maker next year... YUM!

Anonymous said...

We just got back to M and V's house. You definitely had it cushy!! We had all our stuff packed in on two horses and two mules. We camped at an elevation of 6,000 feet which took us 4 1/2 hours to hike to. The only water source was a shallow lake. We used a water filter for drinking water. Day hikes discovered a tree that had just been scratched by a bear (8 1/2 feet tall) and the bears dinner of grubs and ants in an old log close by. Another day hike from our camp discovered a yellow jacket nest by Samuel who started screaming and continued jumping up and down on the nest and getting more stings that any little boy should have. The rest of us went running in the opposite direction.
Showers consisted on a pot of hot water. The same pot we used to cook in. Bathroom's consisted of a shovel and roll of toilet paper. Except for me. M had a very small camping porta potty packed in with the rest of our stuff. And M also had a small camping shower for me too! I was the only one that got special treatment on this trip!! It was lots of fun. I'll tell you more later.

Love,

Mom

Francie said...

Wow, mom, sounds like you really had an adventure! The bathroom was a shovel and toilet paper? I'm now even more thankful about MY camping trip!!!