July 1, 2007

I met an angel today and his name is Marvin...

I was taking Jason's mom, Brenda home this evening and knew I had to get gas soon... but I know that gas expands when it's hot outside so I was trying to wait until this evening to get it...
As I was driving up a hill, my car started shaking, so I went into 4th gear... then again, to 3rd... and again, to 2nd... until almost to the top of the hill, where I was able to turn did my car finally stop.
I then realized that I had no phone service, whatsoever...
I immediately turned on my flashers and got out and proceeded to push my car up the hill, down the street (away from oncoming traffic) when I heard this voice. This older man was running out of the grocery store and telling me that he was coming to help and that I shouldn't have to do that. So, he proceeded to push my car as I got inside and steered into an empty parking lot.
I was thinking, how embarrassing, he must think I'm so ignorant, he must think I'm sooooooo blond! But he didn't!
He called out to his lady and told her that he'd be right back, he was going to get a gas can and be right back. Then he told me he'd be only 5 minutes, and I told him I'd stay right here!
He came back in three, took a can out of his vehicle, poured the gas, and waited to make sure that my car started... All I had was a $10 bill and I reached out to give it to him, as I thanked him, and he said "don't worry about it, I have a daughter too..." and I understood. I asked his name and he said, "Marvin". "Thanks, Marvin! I'll pay it forward!"
I then went to get gas and filled it up 12.115 gallons full (for a 12 gallon tank). Then I cried. Why do people help others? And do they realize just what they meant for the one needing help?
I met my guardian angel today, and his name is Marvin.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is very comforting when we run across people like Marvin in our everyday lives. Nice to know your not the only one willing to help a perfect stranger in need. I think Marvin would agree though when the gas is on empty its time to get more gas. Thanks for hanging with my mom today hunny I know she really enjoyed that. I also would like to add that scary is a good way to describe us being together for 10 months. j/k. I love you Francie.

Jason

Shannon said...

Sometimes we just need to not be quite so stuborn or plan ahead. I have an angel too, she just never told me her name. What about naming your next pet Marvin. Its a pretty cute name.

Anonymous said...

That was sooo sweet of him :)

Brings back memories of our little journey :)

Ginger