August 2, 2007

Marriage

One of my favorite movie lines is "Marriage, marriage is true love" from the Princess Bride. Speaking of this M word...

Why is it that once someone (and not all) gets married, they cut off all non-married friends? I know this doesn't always happen, but I have a friend that just recently got married and since then we've only hung out two or three times (in a month and a half!).
I've called her and asked to hang out on the weekend, but she says, "well, my husband is coming home this weekend and so I won't be able to hang out until after 8 p.m. on Sunday night. I'll have to give you a call then, okay?"

What's screaming through my head?
"No! It's not okay?
There's no reason why we ALL can't hang out? There's no reason why you two can't go out to dinner with another couple and socialize! What kind of marriage is this, anyway?"

Why? Why? Why?
Why does someone choose to have this kind of married life? Neither one of my sister's has such a marriage... they are open to having fun with others, socializing with others, they don't have to be connected to the hip with THEIR husbands, and it's okay!!!

Jason also has a friend similar to mine and it's like he fell off the face of the earth! I can't imagine living like that and being happy, and I'm glad that I can choose, that I can be happy, and have my own life along with dating someone. And if I ever do get married, I'm NOT going to be a non-socializing person who wants to only hang out with my husband and not have my own life...

Just thought I'd share a few thoughts...

1 comment:

Lori said...

Sometimes I feel like that type of person. Especially in the summer when Todd works so much. On one hand it gives me plenty of time to socialize with friends while he's at work, but his time off is so limited I don't like to make plans when he's not working unless he wants to come along. You just have to find a balance between friends and family. If you totally isolate yourself from your friends you wont have friends for long, eventually they will give up on the friendship.