August 27, 2007

I'm a built-in babysitter

As a younger sister, I am and have been a built-in babysitter for Rachael's kids, but I also know that if I do a good job, then they'll be MY built-in babysitters for my future kids...
It's pretty tough, though.
I was hanging out with Rachael and the kids for about six or so hours on Saturday and just knew that there would be cooking involved! We all started with making and eating lunch, yum. Then I got Jack and Ben to help make the most delicious Peanut Butter Pie (which they all loved, but Katie-doodles) even Kristen got two servings!
Then I made two loaves of home-made bread and we sat down and ate one whole loaf right out of the oven with butter and jam. It was so good!
I think it's really exciting to get the kids involved and have them help me measure, and get the ingredients and help clean and put things away (which doesn't happen too often, at least not often enough for me!) but they all did help clean the kitchen after lunch. Even Ben swept the floor (and me and Kristen re-did) and we all did dishes and loaded the dishwasher and put things away.
It was cool to see all of them working together. And hopefully they'll learn all these cooking and cleaning techniques good enough so that when they get to babysit my future kids, they'll be able to make me yummy goodies and clean up after themselves too!
(I know, Rachael, you don't have to tell everybody that I don't ALWAYS clean up after myself, but at least I make some super yummy food, right?!)

2 comments:

Rachael said...

You didn't add the part about how Jack said, "Mom, can Fray-Fray babysit us today?" And I said, "she's already here". And he said, "but can she babysit us?". And I said, "Does that mean you want me to leave?".

Lori said...

I hope you like babysitting my baby as much as you like babysitting Kristen, Jack, Kate, and Ben. It will probably be way easier because I'll only have one. Unless of course Rach and I both need a babysitter.