August 21, 2007

Identity Theft

I've heard stories about friends and relatives that have had their identities stolen but never thought I'd be a culprit of this stressful experience... until today.

Knowing that I have a few bills to pay this week, I checked my bank account online and noticed a $10 transaction in Chicago, Illinois. I haven't been out of the state in over a month and so it caught my attention quite quickly. Only being $10 I wasn't too scared, but I was still concerned.

I called my bank and asked what it was for and they said it was on Sunday morning, and I KNOW I wasn't in Chicago this weekend!

After a little bit of searching, I was told that I had to file a police report before my bank could cancel my bank card and take off the transaction.

So, I called my boss to ask if I could take a little longer lunch to go file a report and get this all taken care of. He said, yes, but also told me that some places bill out of another area, so it could be one of those situations...

And, thankfully, it was! Sure enough, I had gotten gas Sunday morning in Michigan and it was billed out of Chicago. Weird. But I feel a bit better and will continue to keep a close eye on my account from now on!

1 comment:

Shannon said...

I've even heard of people stealing bad credit identities lately too. I guess if someone is 20k or less in debt, it is relatively easy to clean it up in a short amount of time. Scammers are so smart. They get away with the scam for alot longer then normal because people who have bad credit tend to not even want to know what their credit report looks like. Guess they must already know. lol