August 9, 2007

"I know you are, but what am I?"

While at Rachael and Derrick's house last night, working on bringing a bunch of stuff upstairs from the soggy bottom basement, we had a discussion on the word/term/slang "Psyche"! Rachael asked me how I would spell it, and I thought it'd be something like "Syke" but was quickly corrected by both of them, that it was short for "psyching someone out" hence: Psyche! I used to use this word all the time, but have never typed/written it down so I had no clue, and I was out on a search to see if they were really right.
I first asked Jason and he agreed with them. Then at lunch today, I asked my friend, Missy, and while she was thinking about it, her 7-year-old son, Jimmy, looked at me and said "p-s-y-c-h-e"! So, I have to admit, I was wrong... I also looked it up online and found that it could be either "psyche" or "sike".

While I was online, I also found a few other words I thought were pretty funny:

Awesome
Bodacious
Bummed
Chill pill
Don't have a cow
Dude
Excellent
Gag me with a spoon
Gnarly
Help... I've fallen and I can't get up! (they still have those commercials on TV!)
I know you are but what am I? (totally peewee!)
Like
Major
Nerd
Not!
Rad
Smooth move ex-lax
Spaz
Stoked
Totally
Wax on, wax off
Way (as in way cool!)
What's happenin' hot stuff?
What you talkin' 'bout Willis?
Whoa! (from Joey on Blossom)
Yo
Your Mama!

3 comments:

Rachael said...

Actually, I was going to correct you and say it's "psych" not "psyche", but then I looked it up on m-w.com just to make sure. It IS "psych", but "psyche" is an acceptable variant.

m-w.com is a good friend and resource to all. underused by many...as is spellchecker.

Do not believe all internet sources. it most definitely is NOT "sike". A "sike" is "a small stream; especially : one that dries up in summer".

OK, I'm going to shut up now and go whistle or something. We all have our little pet peeves, you know.

Rachael said...

P.S. m-w.com is merriam-webster (on-line dictionary)

Lori said...

Rach whistling annoys me, not Francie!!!