January 31, 2009

A day at the beach: Lake Michigan

It was a beautiful day today. Very cold. Very windy. I didn't have plans for this afternoon and decided to take a stroll on the beach. (A very different kind of day than this day!)
As you can tell, the lake is frozen. I didn't go as far as that little kid, but it was pretty crazy! I've never seen anything like it in my life! And let me just tell you, every step I took scared me like crazy! Especially when your foot fell through a pocket of snow that was on top of the ice. Felt like I was going to fall through! Or when walking directly on the ice and hearing ccccrrrrraaccckkkk under your foot, now THAT is scary!
Don't worry, there were actually a ton of people out there today! I came across two separate families not from around here.
There were many ice-boulders out there on the lake.
Doesn't it just look incredible?
The little kids were having so much fun on the snow/ice/lake! I was scared that one of them would fall through into the lake, so I had to go back to solid ground and walk over to the pier. I couldn't keep watching them! Too scary!
Looks like frozen waves are pretty fun for sledding!
Here you can see a small cleft in the iced wave.
And this is a frozen wave!
You may not be able to tell, but this is probably about 8 to 10 feet tall!



I'm lucky to have gotten a this picture. It was so windy there on the lake, I had the hardest time holding the camera up, while keeping it all steady!
I just couldn't resist this picture! The water had froze on the railings and this was a frozen hole, perfect for peaking through! Definitely my favorite shot of the day!*

I had a lot of fun at the beach today... although, as I got in my car, frozen body, chapped face, and ready to go home and take a hot bath, I turned around in the parking lot and wouldn't you know it, I GOT STUCK! Yup... I noticed all the tire tracks and didn't think anything of it, until of course I couldn't go straight anymore. Then, I couldn't reverse either! I put it in neutral, then got out and tried to push. I continued this "pushing" with my car for about five minutes with no result. I would push, my car would move about an inch, then roll back towards me, where it was before, then I'd push again, and it would do the same thing. It was like pushing someone on the swings, (on a much smaller scale) it would just keep rolling back into place. It was so annoying! It didn't take much more time until a nice old man came over and started shoveling the snow from under my car, behind my front tires. Then another old man came over to watch. Then he started taking pictures! Then a few other young guys came over to watch the "show"! It got quite comical, you know. Then, to make it even better I told the guy to make sure he stand far back enough to get the whole effect, with the car, the snow up to my doors, and me, the blond that got stuck! Ah... a real life blond joke!

*I really wish I had a camera like either of my three sisters today! Umm... my birthday is in about 6 months guys! Hint. Hint.

11 comments:

Elle J said...

You rock!! These pictures are incredible and I have a hard time imagining it is in the mid-west, versus Alaska or Antarctica!! I hope you treated yourself to something warm to drink. Thanks for sharing your pictures; and yes, you need an upgrade because you are a fabulous photographer (trying to help you)!!! :)

Francie said...

Thanks for the "help" Elle J! I think this is my 5th winter of being here in this state and this is the first time in my life that I've ever seen this kind of thing (in real life!) I also talked to Jason, who's lived here all his life, and he's never gone to see the lake like this before! I think Lori and I might take a trip over there tomorrow with her camera for some really great pictures that we can blow up as art work and hang on our walls! Yay!

Cecelia said...

The pictures are great. I'd be to scared to walk out there. Glad you were able to get "un-stuck".

Muddy said...

Amazing photos-Glad you shared them.

Lori said...

Don't hold your breath for a camera for your birthday from your siblings, but you can borrow mine whenever you want for very short amounts of time.
I do want to go back tomorrow and take some on my camera, I like the idea of making art work out of them.
They are really good pictures.

Tina in CT said...

Fabulous pictures. I'd never seen anything like that. There is one picture with what looks like a deep crevice (or crack) but I'm sure it can't be. I'm with your mother that I'd be afraid to venture out on the lake. Did the news say that it was frozen solid enough to go on? Yes, I'm a worry wart.

Those pictures would be fantastic blown up and framed.

I think all of your family and friends should chip in for a good camera for your birthday as you definitely have a talent for photography. Love the one looking through the circle.

Natalie said...

That sucks you got stuck. I dont want to rain on your new discovery, but the lake does that every year, have you never been down to the lake (all of 3 miles away) in the 5 years you've lived here? lol. If it makes you feel better, it looks a little icyer on the railings than is has in the last couple of years! We have tons of snow still! A big snow storm is coming Tuesday supposidly, I cant wait!

Shannon said...

Glad you got unstuck. If by chance it ever happens again... Take the floor mats out and put them under the front tires. It should give you enough traction to get out. (I've had to do it myself when I was stuck with no one to help me push).

Rachael said...

When I was in college, a bunch of us went way far out on the frozen ice, with the frozen waves. I remember it so well because somewhere out there, I dropped my car keys! We spent hours looking for them and finally gave up. I had to call Denise to bring me a spare (that was when she was living in Michigan.)

It does freeze every year, but some years are more dramatic than others. It is frozen out quite a bit further than usual this year, I think. Derrick and I were both noticing that when we drove by (just to look) a few days ago.

Great pics, by the way!

Tina in CT said...

Did you and Lori go back to take pictures with her camera?

CATHY said...

The pictures are beautiful. How scary tho...I would never have the courage to walk out there. I can't believe that it is that cold to freeze a big lake.