January 29, 2009

Handicap Parking for non-handicapped people?

What do you think about when you think of the word handicap? When it comes to handicap parking, for some reason, when I see a car parked in handicap parking or someone pull into one, I want to make sure that they really are handicapped! I want to either see a tag hanging from their rear view mirror or a simple little symbol on their license plate. It might just be an obsession, who knows.
My friend from Texas was telling me this story of someone she works with: "I usually have to walk all the way across the empty parking lot to my car at the end of the day, but a friend of mine conveniently walks two parking spaces away to his car parked in a handicapped parking spot right next to the door! Mmmm... I wonder. Do you think that he left for a brief moment and parked there, right before leaving work to save time or hurry back to work? *rolls eyes* Or, maybe, do you think that he is handicapped? No... Well, do you think he just thinks that he can park there because he wants to and it doesn't matter if he parks in that spot, because there really is only one person that is truly handicapped in the entire building and there are 3 handicapped parking spots?" Either way, my friend was about to give that guy the benefit of the doubt, until she noticed his car was parked in that same spot for two weeks straight. As if it had "EMPLOYEE OF THE MONTH HANDICAPPED PARKING SPOT FOR NON-HANDICAPPED PERSONS" sign in front of the spot?
Again, I'm not sure why this bothers me (or my friend) so extremely bad as it does, but it does!
Please. Please tell me that there are others out there that thinks this is wrong!

8 comments:

Rachael said...

They haven't gotten a ticket?

At the hospital, security vigilantly patrols the parking garage and if you park in the wrong section, they will slap a big pink sticker warning on your window, which in next to impossible to scrape off.

Just to clarify: I DON'T parking in handicap, but I have been guilty of parking in visitor parking when the physician parking slots are full and I'm in a hurry.

Elle J said...

It is wrong, regardless of how many in the building are licensed to use the 3 parking stalls. I have seen so many parents at our school parking illegally in the handicap spot ... and we are the elementary school in the district that all the handicapped students are bused to for school (so we have a lot)... it is sad to see a parent who should be legally parking in that spot, get upset because an illegal person did instead. Grrr. Maybe a "little bird" should tell security about said violator.

Tina in CT said...

I would have steam coming out of my ears as I'd be livid. Is there a management co. for the building or does your co. own the building? If so, security can speak with her.

If it were me, I'd probably call the cops as I'd be so PO'd seeing how she's done in several days in a row.

honestgrl said...

This bothers me too! We have people like that in our apartments who just park wherever they like. I always check stickers/license plates to see if they really are and then when I see that it's a girl my age, with my physical abilities, who just doesn't want to walk as far, I get super irritated. The same goes for parking in the fire lane. I think a good job for people like us would be to be the people who slap the stickers on the windows. I would get great joy from doing that. I wonder where I can get my hands on some of those? It's like a $300-400 dollar ticket I believe. Would be worth informing someone about.

Muddy said...

Did the person have a hang tag or sticker (or whatever is required in your state) identifying them as a handicapped person?

I know I always look when I am sitting in the parking lot of the grocery store waiting on my son to finish his shift to see if the person who parked in the handicap space really has a tag or not.

I try not to be judgmental when I see that person (even with tags) appear to walk just fine up to the store as I really do not know what their condition is that makes it a hardship for them. Perhaps they walk in or out appearing fine-but have some major back pain or other condition that is unseen, yet that demands a tag.

With stores (and offices) getting bigger and bigger, I am not surprised at the amount of people with tags on their cars. Where we used to be able to just walk up, run in quickly and return to our cars with very little steps...it seems now you walk a mile just to get into the store and back after doing the shopping cart calisthenics inside the store.

CATHY said...

Oh yes Francie, it bugs me too. I am always looking for a handicap sticker when someone pulls into one and I can't seem to find a place to park.
I noticed they have special parking now for pregnant women. When are they going to get special parking for fat ladies that have to walk 5 miles from the south end of the mall to the inside? At least the pregnant ones lose their fat after 9 months, I still have mine after 30 years!

Shannon said...

Cathy, how would fat ladies loose wt (or even maintain) if they got "rock-star" parking?
Wouldn't it be funny if parking lots were color coded by distance? Blue for handicap, orange for average walk, red for "furthest distance" and you have to have the correct tag to park in the color zone. That would be cool.

Shannon said...

I totally get what you mean:)