January 25, 2009

RAGTIME!

The first rehearsal went really well! The director gave an overview of the play and then we went over the many, many parts of the opening song. We were split into three groups: The New Rochelle Choir, The Harlem Choir, and the Immigrant Choir.
While my throat is a little raw from singing so much and more than I usually just sing, I am really excited about this play! I'm singing the alto/harmony part and I love it! Obviously there has to be a melody to a song but sometimes it's really the harmony part that makes a song a song, and with almost 60 of us singing from two to sometimes five different parts, the song is just powerful!
I'm one of the lucky ones that gets a book with all the lines and the music in it, because I have a small (very, very small) part of acting in the play. I'm also excited about being part of the New Rochelle Choir because they sing a total of 11 songs throughout the entire play! Not just the beginning and the end, but throughout the entire play and that is pretty cool.

This is the part in the play I have:

(Father returns from the North Pole. He stands in the front hall, bearded, rough-hewn, laden with exotic gifts. Brigit {that's me!}, enters with a dust mop.)

FATHER: "I'm home! Mother! Grandfather!

(Brigit screams at the sight of him.)

BRIGIT: Who the hell are you?

FATHER: Who in God's name are you?

BRIGIT: I'm Brigit! All right, that's enough, the back door for you, you brazen peddler.

FATHER: This is my home. I live here.

THE LITTLE BOY: Father! Father!

BRIGIT: Oh Holy Mother, it's the master!

(She runs out embarrassed.)
---

That's my part! That's it! Kinda funny, huh? I sure hope I can have all that memorized! Ha-ha! But you know, as minute of a part as that is, I'm sure glad I have a speaking part, because I may just want to do another play sometime! I'm very thankful that I have a speaking part because there were a lot of others who were great at acting during the auditions and they didn't get any speaking parts!

4 comments:

Natalie said...

Yikes. Do you HAVE to say the H word, or can you change it to heck? lol.

Tina in CT said...

I think you can manage the lines.

I saw the play on Broadway and enjoyed it a lot. Have fun with it.

Rachael said...

I hope we are all able to get tickets! I'm so excited for you.

Lori said...

How fun, I can't wait to see it. Be sure and let me know the whens and wheres of it so I can get tickets.