January 18, 2009

Southern Style Cheese Grits

Jason took me to Cracker Barrel for breakfast/lunch today (I had breakfast/he had lunch). Okay, so we all know that Cracker Barrel is the place for home-made style southern food such as soft-melt-in-your-mouth biscuits and apple butter. But can someone please tell me why they serve instant grits? You know, the kind that tastes like it just isn't quite cooked all the way, because they probably ripped open the individual packet, put it in a bowl with water, popped it in the mic., stirred, and then set it before me with a slice of cheese on top! Okay, so I asked for a slice of cheese so I can have them the way I like 'em. But it just blows my mind that they would serve instant grits when they pride themselves for the home-made southern style cooking!
Alright, well, I'll step off this box, now. Just thought I'd share...

7 comments:

Teen : } said...

Your hilarious. I have never eaten where you are talking about. There was this one place I went to though and it was disgusting. Like you described was perfect. Chunky and chewy. yuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... lol

Tina in CT said...

I've never eaten at a Cracker Barrel nor had grits.

Anonymous said...

How do you know they were instant and not just under-cooked? Like they got in a hurry because they'd run out or something?
~Inquisitive in Neighboring Cube

trigirl82 said...

Gross! What a disappointment. I love grits! Maybe not with a slice of cheese on top though. Hahaha. That made me laugh. You'd think that a place like that would have fantastic grits. Isn't it southern-ish food anyway? I don't know. I've never eaten there. Just been told.

Oh, and I think you can tell when it's instant or not. Definitely. Not that I'm a grits connoisseur or anything. Haha. That would be totally odd. Ha!

Rachael said...

Well, Cracker Barrel is not exactly high class dining. How much did you pay for those grits?

But still...I know what you mean. There are a few restaurants where we've ordered mac 'n cheese off the kids menu for the the kids and I'd swear they'd heated up a pack of Easy Mac!!

Natalie said...

I agree, that is rediculous! What's more southern than cheese grits?

Anonymous said...

It could be the region. I love grits and I know the Cracker Barrel in TN doesn't serve instant grits. Or it could just be the declining economy. Take your pick.