January 30, 2008

Vet visit

Word of advice: Do not drive to the vet with two cats without kennels in the rain!

Last night I had an appointment for both cats at the vet so they could get their shots and their anti-tapeworm medicine.
I tried to call my sister Rachael, but she didn't answer, and I didn't know who else might have a kennel, so I decided to tough it out. I stuck Rocco inside my coat and zipped it up and then picked up Jojo and placed her in the passenger seat. She didn't stay in the seat and decided that sitting on the head rest of my seat would be more comfortable. Then looking out the window, while sitting on my left arm, as I held on to the wheel to drive. All at the same time, Rocco trying to get out of the coat, Jojo is crying and meowing, it's raining and Jojo decides to ride up on the dashboard and in front of the wheel! "Down in front" I said, but she didn't budge, so I had to strategically lean forward, so as not to squish Rocco between me and the wheel, and scoot Jojo, out of my view, as I took the exit off the highway.
While at the vet, they were pretty good. Jojo was a pro and made me proud. Then it was Rocco's turn. The vet grabbed him by the back of the neck and tried to poke him with the needle... really? that's all you're going to hold? he's a cat! he's clever! and you aren't holding on to him better than that???
Rocco wasn't having any of this and got her with his back legs. shocking! She had to go get a "holder" to hold him down so she could poke him with a needle and after a few struggles, she finally succeeded, although Rocco let out the loudest scream ever, and I started crying!
I felt kind of bad that Rocco scratched the vet, but then again, she's supposed to be a professional and should have taken precautions, right?
Either way, she said she was fine and the office called me today to make sure the cats were okay, which I thought was very considerate and I asked how the vet was and the lady said she didn't know but that they're used to that kind of thing.

Oh, and poor Rocco, after all that drama last night, went over to my cousin's and got "fixed" today! Oh, and Rachael and Lori, you both should be proud to know that I did not faint or throw-up either!

3 comments:

Rachael said...

so the fixing went ok?

Tina in CT said...

Your cousin "fixed" your cat????? Since your cousin is a vet, how come he/she doesn't do the shots too?

Here's an animal story. One summer when I was probably somewhere between 5 - 9, we were in the car driving down to our beach cottage for vacation. We had the car packed with linens, food, etc. for the two weeks. My dad was driving and my mother was in the front seat. I shared the back seat with 2 dogs and 3 cats (lucky me). One of our cats decided it would be comfortable to sit on the top of the front seat (the old fashion bench style with no headrests). While Tommy got car sick and guess where it went? Yup, right down my dad's back. How's that for a car ride story with pets?

Shannon said...

Was it an OBGYN, or a vet that fixed the cats? lol