January 22, 2008

I'm on a budget

I am on a budget. I'm trying to save money and buy a house. Or a new car. Or something else. Not quite sure, yet, but I'm still on a budget...
I just had to brag to someone though... I was so proud of myself last night.
I had to buy groceries because I had no food in my house* and I'm a budget, so I'm trying to be really careful.
Called Jason. He was doing stuff on EBay.
Called Lori. She was heading into work.
Called Rachael. She was at Joann's (shocking!).
So, basically, I had no where to go for dinner. (ha-ha!)
So, I went to the grocery store and told myself that I would not use more than $10 on groceries, so if I got something, it would have to last me and I'd had to be very practical!
So, I got...
1. Potatoes - $2
2. Gallon of milk - $3
3. Box of pasta - $.84
4. Can of tomato juice (V-8 was too much $) - $1
5. Bread - $1
6. Flour tortillas - $1
All for less than $9.00!!!
I was pretty proud of myself, and it worked out great because last night I made some noodles with the tomato juice for dinner and also boiled half the potatoes and made creamy potato soup for the week.
The bread will be perfect for PB J's or to rip and put under some home-made gravy in the morning.
I also have some leftover cheese and two cans of enchilada sauce, so the tortillas combined with those will be perfect for, yet, another meal!
Oh, and I also have cereal for the milk. I almost got a 1/2 gallon instead but it was only $1 cheaper, so by February 4, I have to try and use as much milk as possible! It seems like the closer to the expiration date, the more I use it, because to me, milk always smells spoiled! So, I HAVE to follow the date...
Either way, I was so excited for sticking to a budget and working with what I already have at home, that I had to share with all of you!!!

*When I say "I have no food in my house" it usually means that I don't have anything instant to make or that I don't have anything that goes together...

4 comments:

Lori said...

I feel so used, the only reason you want to come over is to eat my food. Well don't worry, I'll still feed you, but you know I'll make sure I get something in return while your over. (cleaning, babysitting, etc)

Francie said...

Whatever! You know I do more than eat your food! Ha-ha!!!

Rachael said...

You could always buy dried beans and a big bag of rice. Or make dumplings. Takes me back to our childhood...which reminds me, you can also make dried toast and hot milk with what you already have...remember that?

Cecelia said...

Good for you. I think saving to buy a home is a great idea. It's a good investment. I haven't had dried toast and hot milk in a long time. Wish you lived closer, we have lots of food in the freezer and canned foods too. If you want to run over, I'll share.