January 30, 2008

Stories from Grandma's attic, II

While I wasn't able to locate my post-its with Grandma's stories, but remembered most of the stories while talking to Mom last night, so here are some stories from grandma...

When grandma Annie met grandpa Ray:
One Saturday after church (Grandpa Ray's first time at the church), Ray came up to Annie and told her that he saw her in church. Not giving anything, she asked him where. In the choir. "Are you sure?" Grandma asked him. What was I wearing and where was a sitting? (Apparently, she was a hard-to-get professional!) But Ray knew exactly where she sat and exactly what she wore, which she said was pretty easy because everyone in the choir wore the same robes! Grandma Annie told me, "I didn't even see him!!!"
Then he had asked her if he could see her again and she replied with "Yeah, next week in church!"
And did you know that it was Great-Grandma that told Annie that she should invite Ray over for dinner? (Apparently, Grandpa Ray worked at some factory and only had half an hour for lunch and would go over to Grandma Annie's house and she would have his favorite beans ready for him, Pinto or Butter (Lima) beans.)
They met in April 1950 and married June 25, 1950 (Grandma Annie was 19 years old).
I told grandma Annie that they didn't waste any time! And she told me that they didn't back then and that grandpa Ray wasn't Adventist when they met but had gotten baptized before they got married.

Grandma Annie on getting pregnant:
Grandma Annie told me that soon after they got married, she got pregnant but lost the baby. She was so sad and they kept trying to get pregnant but it just wouldn't happen!
So, she decided to go to this doctor and paid $500, "Which was a lot of money back then!" And the doctor told her that she was too anxious and she needed to stop thinking about it and then it may just happen! "I thought he was crazy!" she told me.
Well, of course her brother and sisters were having kids and could have kids whenever they wanted... "if one of them wanted one in January, they'd have one in January."
Grandma Annie had a job just across the hospital and she told me that everyone that came out of the doors either had a baby in their hands or was pregnant!
Then one of her friends told her about this other doctor and she went to him. Later, he told her she was pregnant and she told him that she wasn't and he told her "you wanna bet?" So, then she knew she was pregnant.
She said she was so excited! And she was also excited because she was going to be the only one having a baby that year!
She had mom in February, then her sister had Tony in July (I think), then her other sister had DeAnne later that year (I think that's the one), and the following year, her sister had Carla!

While I may not write them as good as they were told to me, I still think they are pretty funny and want to make sure I get these stories written down. Remember, you have to read these stories and imagine Grandma Annie's excited voice telling these stories with a ton of emotion. She was so funny telling me , as if they were mystery stories. And they were to me.

No comments: