September 28, 2007

Wild times with "Anything man" and friends...

Yesterday I headed to Rachael's house to pick up a few things so I could make apple pie* and had quite an eventful 20 minutes!
I walk into the kitchen and three kids were eating at the table, so I started talking to them, and Katie asked me what her favorite color was and I told her it was blue (um, I'm the auntie and who doesn't know that???), then realized that Ben was in the kitchen, sitting on the counter top, all grumpy-like... So, being the auntie, I went over to him to see if I could cheer him up, I figured that Rachael had just left the room and he was there waiting for her to come back. So, I went over and gave him a hug, but it didn't work. Still grumpy-like. Then I looked at him and asked if he needed one of my signature "squishy hugs". And he did! So, while I was trying to squeeze him into my arms, Katie and Jack were running up to me and talking but I didn't hear what they were saying until Jack started crying and ran to Derrick. Of course I felt bad. I thought Jack wanted a squishy hug and that I was ignoring him...
I went over to tell Jack that I'd give him a squishy hug, when Kristen started telling me that he was trying to ask me what I thought his favorite color was (which of course I knew it was red, because that's mine!) but at the same time, Katie was running over to tell me that Jack's favorite color was red!
So, while I was trying to tell Jack that I didn't hear what color they had told me, Katie told me, again... (oh, man, now he's crying even more!).
So, I picked him up and said, "Jack. Clearly we all know what your favorite color is. I already knew because I'm your auntie and red is my favorite color too!" Which relieved him just a tad. "But there's a very important question that goes along with your favorite color that I need to ask you!" Then I proceeded to grab as many different reddish colored items on the cabinet, i.e. ketchup bottle, bottle of strawberry jam, a tomato, and a red pepper. "Now, Jack, I need to know which kind of red you like the best!" He pointed to the strawberry jam bottle and then we all (me, Jack, Ben, and Kristen. Katie wasn't in the room at the time.) had a wild 5 minutes looking into the refrigerator and pantry for as many red colored items we could find!
I finally got a few minutes to grab a few items I needed, so in the mean time, I conned Jack and Ben to hook me up with a biscuit with butter and jam on it. Ben, of course, instantly became "Jelly Man" and "Helper Man" and I was trying to teach Jack how to spread the butter all over the piece...
I tried getting out of there quick because Jack wanted to come home with me and help me cook dinner for Jason, but then I knew I'd have to bring him back and figured it'd just be easier later, so I made a date with him this weekend to do something... I don't know, maybe make brownies or something at Rachael's.
Either way, it all happened in about 20 minutes or less and was a pretty wild time with little "squishy man" and friends!
Until next time...
*(Oh, and by the way, I never did make apple pie!)

3 comments:

Rachael said...

Well, eventually you made the pie.

And you forgot to mention that the reason Ben was sitting there all grumpy was because he was in a time-out for being naughty (until his auntie "rescued" him).

Lori said...

Sounds like an overwhelming 20 minutes if you ask me.
You must have stayed longer to blog!

Shannon said...

I thought you had internet at home.

sounds pretty overwhelming.
BTW: my favorite color is red too.