September 26, 2007

Lentils and Spaghetti Squash?

Last week, in an effort to eat random pantry items, I found myself making a bag of lentils... I remember eating them as a kid and they were pretty good, and I love all the flavors I add to it, like carrots, tomatoes, Ketchup, mustard, onions, salt and pepper, etc.
The funny thing is, most anybody, besides my family, has heard about them!
When I told Jason what I ate for lunch he asked, "What is it?" As if it were from another planet or some nasty gross tofu type meal.
The same thing goes for Spaghetti Squash. I bought two of them on Monday but couldn't remember how to make them. So, I called my mom, no answer, I called Lori, no answer, I called Natalie, no answer, then I called Rachael (who I thought was my sister, but realized that I had saved my friend Rachael's number under "Rachael's" name) and she answered.
"Hey, do you or your mom know how to make spaghetti squash?" "Um... my mom does, let me ask her..." when she came back on the line she started telling me how to make spaghetti, the pasta! "No, I mean the SQUASH!" "Oh, no, I don't even know what that is!" she said.
I finally called my sister, Rachael, and found out how and made it and it was so yummy!
How can people be missing out on these two items that are really inexpensive (lentils = $.98 per bag and the squash was only $.33/lb at about 3 lb's max!)
Either way, I feel like I grew up on a farm, and no one can relate, but all it takes is a good recipe and "hey, wanna try a bite?" to get them to like it, right?

4 comments:

Rachael said...

So why was I so far down on your list of people to call? What's up with that. You actually thought Natalie would know how to make spagetti squash?!

I actually have a really great recipe for a sauce that goes with spagetti squash that I pulled from a magazine years ago and still make every once in a while. It's yum.

Francie said...

Rachael, you are a busy woman and it seems like I always call at a bad time... I should get your work schedule, huh?
No offense.
I should get that recipe though, I still have one more squash to make!

Lori said...

Your blog is starting to sound like the food network! jk.
I just made s. squash myself the other day and it was soo good with my homemade sauce that Rach and I made!
I also made an awsome soup with just blackeye'd peas (1 frozen bag not the dehydrated bag), carrots, potatoes, onion, McKay's chicken seasoning, 1 can petite diced tomatoes with garlic and at the end stirred in some fresh spinach. I used only a little water, so it was a nice thick stew type soup and so good. Too bad Todd wont eat it, He rarely eats beans, and apparently wasn't interested in trying blackeye'd peas, didn't even try it!
I sure hope my baby isn't as picky an eater as Todd is!

Anonymous said...

Excuse me... but I DO know how to make spaghetti squash thank you very much. You just boil it for 45 min in a pot. Add butter and salt. Oh, but the most shocking to me of all....your friend didnt know how to make regular spaghetti, she had to ask her mom?? WHO DOESNT KNOW HOW to make the easiest cooked meal? Crazy crazy girl.