September 3, 2007

Labor Day Laboring

Although I had to work for a few hours today, it was a nice day of relaxation for me...
I didn't do much.
Got off work at 11:30 a.m.
Took a "mom" nap (you know, one of those naps my mom used to take... watching TV on the couch and then falling asleep) until about 4 p.m. (I must have been really tired!)
Then I made home-made banana bread, which was really yummy and gave me yet another excuse to use my new KitchenAid mixer, and I also had banana's that were ready to be used, but too ready to eat...
My potatoes were starting to look very similar, so I decided to make a batch of mashed potatoes, which gave me the opportunity to use my new KitchenAid hand mixer! It works super fast (compared to my hand mashing I used to do before). I also added two slices of pepper-jack cheese to give it a little something-something and let me tell you, it was perfect! It gave the best little "kick" to the mashed potatoes.
Now, I need to figure out what other stuff I can make with mashed potatoes, because I had to use the whole bag! So far, all I can think of is the German casserole (i.e. mashed potatoes, sauerkraut, and hot dogs!) Anyone have any ideas?
Well, I ended up making the German casserole (meat and vegetarian style) then decided that I should make a Peanut Butter Pie for later.
Now, hopefully, Jason will come over and eat some of this food!

5 comments:

Shannon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shannon said...

Fried mashed potato patties are good for breakfast! Oh, and what about the all familiar potato buns? They can be a bit tricky, but it's better to get them dowm when there is no pressure... otherwise, when you want them to turn out perfect, they turn out hard as rocks. Trust me on that one! ha

Rachael said...

Where's the "labor" part in this post? The cooking or the watching TV? Sounds like a perfectly lazy day to me.

Lori said...

German casserole sounds good. I haven't had that in a while. You know what else is good to make with mashed potatoes is perogi casserole. Yumm, mabye I will make some tomorrow. Probably not though.

Cecelia said...

Everything sounds delicious. Wish you would come and visit and do the cooking!! Yesterday Bob picked two five gallon buckets of green beans for me to freeze and we bought a bushel of peaches on Friday and they were ready to be frozen too! Bob also pulled all the onions in the garden and got them ready to put in the root cellar (four bushels). Hopefully we'll have onions through the winter. The onions are really sweet!!! Oh, and we have blackeyed peas ready but I don't think I will freeze them because it takes too long to shell them. I'll just enjoy eating them fresh. Another crop of corn will be ready to freeze in a week or two.