June 29, 2007

What's wrong with picking?



As far as I can remember, my family picked...
My mom picked...
My sisters picked...
I pick...
And now, my nieces and nephews pick...
Food that is!
I can't remember ever making a meal and not picking while cooking or baking!
From licking the batter off the beaters to popping a cherry tomato into my mouth to sticking an olive on each finger then eating them!
Today, Ben and Jack were right there, stirring the baby ports in the skillet, both trying a raw mushroom and then moving on to a cooked one... and we wonder why they don't eat the entire plate during the meal!
Either way, it's a family tradition that has been passed down from generation to generation and for me? It's the only way to cook!

Also, I'm glad that I'm able to get the kids involved when I cook. While it may take a few minutes longer to hold the can-opener while Jack turns the wheel thingy, I'm glad that the joy of working together, counting, producing a meal, and then having the entire family enjoy it together has been yet another tradition in our family!
07.04.07 Update:
As I sliced the strawberries up for tonight's grill out, Ben was showing us how picking is done!

4 comments:

Shannon said...

Oh the simple pleasures of cooking! Andy thinks it is SO gross and he used to get onto me quite a bit, but he has gotten over it lately. He always laughs about how shocking it was to see my sisters picking too. Especially Rachael... Why is that such a shock? I guess he just assumed that Doctors have more social skills then the rest of us? Whatever! What is really funny though is that he loves to go to Mom and Bob's for the weekend because he loves to eat at their house. Well, he JUST FOUND OUT this past weekend at campmeeting that our mom is the ring leader in the picking department. How he never knew before now, I will never understand. But, the good thing is he said that at least it's family (cool hu?) and that it's not as gross as imagining the old ladies from church doing it while they cook for pot-luck. Men... They just dont get it.

Lori said...

You guys are gross!! I never Pick:)

Shannon said...

Lori... Are you kidding?

Rachael said...

There is an art to picking at food without contaminating everyone else's food. Get with the program everyone!