June 29, 2007

The best Lasagna recipe ever!

I love to cook, can't say much about cleaning, but my new found favorite cooking person is Rachael Ray! She can't stop talking on her shows, but for some reason, it doesn't bother me... I've gotten used to "EVOO" instead of "extra virgin olive oil" and "this is really cool stuff!"

As some of you may know, I tried one of the most amazing "Strawberries 'n' cream cake" recipe from last month's magazine and now that I have June/July 2007 magazine, I've already tried two recipes, including this absolutely amazing recipe for Vegetarian Lasagna!

Although I don't have all the high-tech appliances, I was able to make this with no problem and everything about it was awesome! Even Jason loved it! (And it's vegetarian!)

Now, with most things, I had to change it a little bit to work around what I had in the kitchen, appliance and ingredients-wise.

So, here's the recipe and then check out my personal tips in blue...

Portobello Mushroom and Almond Pesto Lasagna
http://www.rachaelraymag.com/recipe/40169/

FOUR SERVINGS
Prep Time: 30 min
Bake Time: 45 min

3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
5 large portobello mushroom caps, thinly sliced (or one container of sliced baby ports, which makes it better for cutting the lasagna and doesn't make it too meaty-like)
Salt and pepper
Two 14.5-ounce cans diced tomatoes with Italian herbs
3 cups (about 10 ounces) sliced almonds, toasted (I didn't have almonds, so I didn't even do this part, but substituted the almonds and the lemon peel and juice with the leftover juices from the cans of tomatoes, about 1/2 cup or 3/4 cups)
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 cloves garlic, chopped
Grated peel and juice of 1 lemon (Again, didn't have it...)
6 no-boil lasagna sheets (come on, I'm not this high-tech either... so, I used the ones you have to boil and was blond enough to actually make the entire box... but remember, this is about an 8X8 pan size of lasagna, you really only need about 6 regular lasagna noodles, but remember to cut off about 3 or 4 inches and use the rest on the topmost layer...)
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese

1. Preheat the oven to 350°. In a large skillet, heat 1/4 cup olive oil over high heat. Add the mushrooms, season with salt and pepper and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl. Add the tomatoes to the skillet, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan, (didn't have any of these so-called "browned bits" with the baby ports...) and cook until softened, 6 to 7 minutes.

2. Using a food processor, process the toasted almonds, Parmesan, garlic, lemon peel, lemon juice and remaining 1/2 cup olive oil into a coarse paste. Transfer the pesto to a bowl and season to taste with salt and pepper. (I didn't have a food processor (shocking!) so I used a small blender and added Parmesan, garlic, about 1/4 or less of EVOO (because I ran out) then I added left-over juices from the tomatoes (but remember, it's a pesto, or paste, so don't make it too juicy!)

3. In an 8-inch square baking dish, spread half the tomatoes across the bottom (make sure you don't put juice in there or it'll be too soupy, now you don't have to squish all the juice out, but draining may be a good idea!). Place 2 lasagna sheets on top (it was actually three sheets wide for mine). Spread a third of the pesto over the sheets (I just used a spoon and put a spoon full on each noodle and spread it length-wise); sprinkle with half the mozzarella (I used less because I didn't want it to be super-cheesy, like I am (ha-ha, pun intended!) and then half the mushrooms. Add another layer of lasagna sheets, pesto, mozzarella and mushrooms. Top with another layer of lasagna sheets, spread with the remaining pesto and then the remaining tomatoes. Cover tightly with foil and bake for 35 minutes (Didn't have foil either, so I just put it in the oven for about 20 minutes, remember, when you have to bake the noodles, instead of the high-tech-already-baked-noodles then everything is already pretty hot, you're just trying to melt the cheese!). Uncover and bake for 10 minutes more. Let stand for at least 10 minutes before slicing.

Again, remember, that this is only 8x8, just enough for me an Jason and another serving for lunch the next day! I'll definitely be making this again and doubling it too!

Update: this evening Jack and Ben helped me make this yummy lasagna for Rachael's family! They loved it! Jack practically licked his plate and Katya couldn't have more mushrooms! Rachael made this awesome salad with sugar roasted sliced almonds, rice, halved cherry tomatoes and a bunch of other yummy stuff, then we had garlic foccacia with it all... it was a hit!
Try this recipe... So, far, everyone has loved it!

07.06.07 Update: For my readers - after Lori's smart suggestion... I have added links to the top right side of my page to recipes online that I have tried. But please remember that they are as I first received them and do not have my personal suggestions on them... But this way, you'll all be able to print them out!

3 comments:

~ V ~ said...

I don't believe it! This is the 2nd blog I've looked at tonight that calls for ingredients I picked up today in the big city just because they looked good. Now I know what I'll be doing with those portobello mushrooms!

Francie said...

It's a good one! I also had most all the ingredients when I made it the first time, too! I'm sure you all will love it, Vickie!

Lori said...

Okay I made the lasagna, and your right, it is very good. I also did not have all the ingredients so instead of making an almond pesto I used basil pesto, turned out awsome. Definitely a keeper.