September 24, 2008

Substitute Mommy

Last night started a week of being a substitute mommy to Rachael and Derrick's four adorable children. Rachael and Derrick went on a vacation, I mean, they went to sunny California for a dreadfully long week of conventions... (if I could only remember how to cross out words like Rachael does all the time...!)
Either way, I headed to their house after work last night (the grandparents were watching the kids until I got home) and they even saved me some yummy dinner! Sam's chicken and twice baked potatoes! I think I could DEFINITELY get used to that!
After they left, I gave all the kids a list of things they needed (or should) do before going to bed, including things like getting their pj's on, brushing their teeth, and praying to Jesus.
I didn't have too much trouble last night, but Katya had a funny story to tell me... something along the lines of her being so good in school that the teacher was going to e-mail her dad and that she should be able to stay up later... huh? I don't think so! Ha-ha!
After reading a book, we prayed to Jesus and then they went to bed. Then Kristen and I just chilled out for a while and we read a chapter out of Pippi Long-Stocking, then we went to bed. I can't remember the last time I went to bed before 10 p.m. but I was so tired and I knew if I had to get up around 7 a.m. then I would have to have A LOT of sleep!
This morning also went well. We had waffles and scrambled eggs for breakfast and they put in their request for oatmeal in the morning for breakfast tomorrow! Can you believe it? They ASKED for oatmeal??? Either way, I think things are going well! But I'll keep y'all posted!

6 comments:

Shannon said...

Hey, I almost forgot Rachael and Derrick were going to be out of town this week. You are the PERFECT Auntie for the job. I bet the kids are having a blast. Be sure to keep us posted.

CATHY said...

Where in Cali did they go? You make a wonderul mommy, or can we say nanny?
I am sure they love having you there.
Thanks for the input regarding my front door. I am leaning towards off white too.

Tina in CT said...

You had time to make waffles and scrambled eggs! Wow, you're very efficient to do that and get the kids ready for school, drop them off and get to work. I am IMPRESSED.

Cecelia said...

Great job, Francie. I'm jealous!!

Lori said...

Not as much fun as just being an auntie is it? You actually have to be the "parent" for a few days, which sometimes goes against all the cool fun things about being an auntie.

Rachael said...

I think this will be good for you! It should definitely earn me more empathy, anyway!