September 25, 2008

Goodbye sleep, relaxation, TV programs I used to watch...

(A picture of the cutest four kids in the morning, eating yummy oatmeal with brown sugar for Kristen, Jack, and Ben and home-made strawberry jelly for Katie!)

Last night was yet another eventful night with the kids... it was bath night! I got home around 7:15 p.m., took the trash to the curb, threw a few mouthfuls of food in my mouth while I waited for the kids to come in from playing with their grandpa. Once they came in, it was about 7:30 and time to hit the tub! Kristen started on her piano, the boys got in the tub, and Katie headed for the shower. After a few minutes, I decided I should check on them all. The boys were playing in the tub, so I had them get their hair wet and wash their hair, then went down to check on Katie, who wasn't in the shower, but had gotten side-tracked with something or other and needed help turning on the shower. I got the shower going and let her do her thing, then went back upstairs and made sure the boys got all clean and get their pj's on. Then I headed back downstairs to grab another quick bite, then checked on Katie and she was still in the shower! After about 15 minutes! So, I had to have her get out. And of course, she didn't want to, because she was having a "part-y"!
I finally got her in her pj's, then gathered the kids together to read a book before bed. We got the book done, prayed to Jesus, got their clothes picked out for the next day, AND got them to bed by 8:05 p.m.! WOW!!!
I reminded them that if they got up after I put them to bed, then they'd have to go to bed 15 min. earlier the next night. And you know what? They didn't get up the whole night! It was great!
I finally was able to eat the rest of dinner and when Kristen was done practicing her piano, she fed the animals, then started on her homework. I asked if she needed any help and she said no. So, I tried to tidy things up and tried to set up the Internet on my computer, but it kept losing the connection. Finally, Kristen was done her math, and it was around 9:30-ish. I was tired and just figured we'd read a little Pippi Long Stocking and then go to bed, but she then told me that she had a science test the next day. AND SHE HADN'T STUDIED YET!
Why? Why didn't she study that before I got home? Or at least study it sooner???
Either way, she needed to study, so we opened the book and we went over the entire chapter of Phylum and the way scientists classify animals and then we went over the vocabulary. Finally, we were done and I was really tired by that time! She went to bed and then I went to bed (told her we'd read Pippi another night).
I usually get around 8 or more hours of sleep but I definitely didn't get that much last night! Stella kept waking me up when barking at shadows or when she had to go potty. I finally got up around 6:30 in the morning and turned on the TV to watch some news while I made the requested oatmeal for breakfast. After about 10 minutes, I finally got the satellite TV to work and started on breakfast.
Jack and Ben woke up on their own and came down to help, then Jack went upstairs and woke up the girls. I told all the kids the morning before that if I have to wake them up a second time in the morning then they'd have to go to bed 15 minutes earlier! I didn't realize it would work so good! But it did! (A tip from the Internet research I did on how to be a mother!) About five minutes after Jack woke them up, I went to go wake them up (the first time for me) and they were both up already! I was so proud of them! Then I had all the kids (except for Ben) get their clothes on and brush their hair before we ate breakfast.
I packed lunches, while they brushed their teeth and we all headed to school.
Yet another 8:04 a.m. arrival! Rachael! You should be so proud of your kids!!!
Just before the kids got out I said a little prayer for the kids to be good and patient and for Kristen to do really good on her test and remember all the information. We all said "AMEN!" Then they piled out and me and Ben headed home.
Ben helped me pack a lunch for myself, then when Ms. T and Betty arrived, I got ready for work, headed to my house, checked the cats food and water, cleaned their litter box and rushed to work.

Whew! Two nights down... five more to go!

5 comments:

Shannon said...

Too bad the internet tips I've read about don't really work in our house. You must be magic.

This whole mommy thing is proving a good lesson in deciding how many children you will have and how far apart in age you want them. Right?

Sounds to me like you are doing a great job.

Natalie said...

Next time you are laying in bed at 6:30 am because you got woken up, remember that I am just rolling into the parking lot at work, 5 days a week. It will make rolling over and sleeping another 20 min. that much sweeter. Sounds like you are doing good with the kids and that they are listening to you good. Hope you get more sleep tonight.

Rachael said...

Francie, you are doing a great job! But...sounds like you need more practice. If those little three are in bed by 8, you should have PLENTY of time to still watch TV and relax! :)

Stella must miss her Mommy and Daddy. She's usually such a good, quiet little sleeper.

Elle J said...

Bravo ~~ You are such a good Auntie! I am sure you make your sister feel so at ease to know her babies are well cared for. You Rock!!! *And great tip about the 15 minutes earlier rule for bedtime! Genius!

Lori said...

You make it sound so easy!