December 19, 2007

Let's spread the holiday cheer!

I have the holiday cold... and it sucks! (I mean, it 'BLOWS'!)
I was going to make home-made cookies for friends and neighbors and co-workers, although I'm sick and can't make them until I'm better or I'll spread more than Christmas cheer!
It started Friday night and got worse on Sunday.
Yesterday, I took the last half of the day off work because I was blowing my nose every 4 or 5 minutes and then sanitizing my hands, and then putting lotion on my nose (it's raw from the blowing).
So, I had to run errands, like get some breath right strips for my nose, and some cold medicine, and was going to buy cologne for Jason for Christmas. Unfortunately, I didn't realize that I couldn't smell a thing until I got there and asked to smell the Hugo. Didn't work. So, she sent me home with a sample and about 5 other scents sprayed on paper... which means, I probably smelled like MAN all day long and didn't know it, because they were all in my purse!
Then I remembered back in the day when I was sick in Academy, we used to suck on the Taco Bell Salsa packets and it opened our sinuses, so I stopped and got some. Didn't work. In fact, I couldn't even taste the food! I could tell the size and texture of what was in the 7-layer burrito, but could not even sense a delicious taste. It could have been rotten, for all I know! Or, they could have messed up and put meat inside and then wiped it out and I wouldn't have even known! So, no more Taco Bell when I'm sick and I can't taste anything.
I went home and took one of each cold medicines that I had and was in the holiday mood, so I decided that I would make my house smell like Christmas! So, I got a couple cinnamon sticks and placed them in a pot of water and turned the burner on high so it would smell good in my apartment and add to the mood...
I'm not sure how long it was later, that I heard this rumbling sound in the kitchen, so I went to investigate the noise and remembered that I had put cinnamon and water on the stove for holiday scents... WOW! THAT COULD HAVE BEEN BAD!!! I didn't smell it and totally forgot because I wasn't in the kitchen! So, I turned off the burner.
I kept forgetting that I couldn't taste or smell anything!
How annoying!
I even went to make a sandwich for dinner and was picking on the cheese, but what a waste! I couldn't even taste the cheese! Much less the sandwich or the small chocolate chips I tossed in my mouth as I was looking for something to eat! So much for eating! I just wasted perfectly good food!
I then felt like taking a bubble bath and couldn't smell the soap or the shampoo, so I had to keep scrubbing and double washing my hair, just in case, you know!
What a day! I couldn't taste or smell anything and kept forgetting. I really take those things for granted! Today, I'm still sick, but I was able to taste the cough drop I took this morning. Who knows? Maybe, I'm on my way of recovery!

7 comments:

Lori said...

You should take advantage of not being able to taste anything and eat up all the food you've had in your pantry for who knows how long because it just never sounds good.
And since you can't smell, don't forget to change the kitty litter box. And still take a shower, even if you think you don't stink. lol.

Hope you feeling better soon, I wondered why you hadnt stopped over in a few days.
Todd's sick today too, but a different kind, his is the stomach flu.

Rachael said...

Hope you feel better by Christmas!

Shannon said...

What a waste of food? How bout a waste of calories! haha

Hope you get your sences back as quick as possible. I can't remember ever being that sick, but then again, I think it has been at least 10 years, so the memory isn't too fresh.

I just remember how long ago it was because I was in the Army and I needed a day off so bad I actually prayed to get sick. I was on bed rest for 2 days and it was as nice as a day at the spa.

Tina in CT said...

I had a sinus infection about a month ago so I can relate. Hope you are better soon. Nyquill is great for bedtime. I'll have to get the Breathe Right strips for the next time when I am congested.

Thank goodness you got to the pot on the stove in time.

Cecelia said...

I hope you feel better soon. I only had two bad days when I had my cold.

Lori, I sure hope Todd gets better soon and I hope you and the baby don't get sick. It seems like every Christmas someone gets sick.

Francie said...

Lori, thanks for the tips, but I'm just not in the mood to cook anything because if I have left overs and then get better, then I won't be able to eat them or I might get sick again! Also, thanks for reminding me about the kitty litter!
I miss my little Anthony! But he's the last person I want getting sick! Make sure you squish his little cheeks for me and give him plenty of kisses until I get better and can take over!
Hope Todd gets better and doesn't get you and Anthony sick!
Rachael, me too! I've been spending a lot of time at home and getting all the Christmas presents ready! Are we drawing names for us adults? Or just getting everybody something?
Shannon, I know what you mean! That's exactly what I thought after popping a few choco chips in my mouth!
As of today, 12.20.07, I STILL can't smell or taste! It actually goes back and forth. I drank coffee today and lit a candle and can barely taste/smell them, but a bit is coming through to my senses... it's so weird!
Tina, I KNOW! I can't BELIEVE I forgot about that pot on the stove!!! I think that freaked me out pretty bad!
Mom, I'm glad it was only 2 days for you, and that you're better now!

Tina in CT said...

You need to update today and let us know how you're feeling.

Just read your entry on your mother's blog and am sorry that you won't be able to go to NY.