December 24, 2007

Christmas Eve Eve

Yesterday, among many things that I got done, like making over 100 Chocolate Peanut butter no-bake cookies for my neighbors and the maintenance staff, Rachael wanted me to take Jack and Katie to my house and have them help me make the desserts that I had to make for Christmas. So, I picked them up, and brought them to my house to help!
Well, the only they really helped me with, was bringing in the groceries! Then got busy harassing the cats, rummaging through all my Christmas presents (that somehow mysteriously got a little ripped open, here and there... mmmm...) and finding left over yarn that they wanted to keep.
While they were busy doing that, I was making the Peanut Butter Pie that Jason absolutely loves and I made it with a chocolate crust and a layer of hot fudge... I think it may be the best one yet!
Then the kids got hungry, so I made pasta noodles with spaghetti sauce and added onions, mushrooms, and peppers to it. We all sat down and ate it at the table while watching "Home Alone" one of my favorite Christmas movies. Jack had seconds and Katie actually ate her whole bowl full!
Well, I still had to make the Chocolate Layer Cheesecake so I went back into the kitchen while the kids got back to their kitty catching expedition.
Until Katie came and asked me if she could take a bath... I remembered earlier that day, that she asked Rachael if she could take a bath and Rachael told her that if she did, then she'd have to put on her pajamas and go to bed, but this was later in the day, and at my house, and if they wanted to take a bath, instead of driving my cats mad... then why not?
So, they took a bubble bath and I taught them how to lather the soap in their hands in order to wash, then had them wash their hair (if they're going to take a bath, why not wash their hair and get it out of the way?)
They had a good time and I finished the second dessert, so it worked out good.
Then, when they got out, I made sure I blow-dried their hair so they didn't get sick with the windchill outside of 6 degrees or so...
It was kind of fun! I got done what I needed to get done, and helped Rachael get done what she needed to get done, and let the kids have a little fun, all at the same time!
A little before 8 p.m. I decided that we should head home, so we got in the car and instead of the 5 to 7 minute ride home, I took about 40 minutes and drove around for the kids to see all the super-cool Christmas lit houses and decorations, while jammin' to Christmas songs on the radio!
We finally made it home, and I thought I had done a great job of Auntie/babysitter until Katie asked Rachael, "Mom? Can I have a bath?"

4 comments:

Lori said...

What's with the baths? Kate seems to want to take one all the time. I guess it's better than not wanting to take them, but still a bit unusual to want to take 2 in the same day.
I hope some of those cookies are for us, they sound so good.

Rachael said...

Thanks for all your help yesterday! I was soooo much more productive with just one kid in my charge!

Shannon said...

Hey, there us nothing wring with wanting to take more then one bath in a day. I get two in... Most days. It seems to be the only way to stay warm in the winter. I've been known to read for an hour or longer though, so when I'm in I just shut the curtain and it is open door policy.

Natalie said...

no pictures?