July 27, 2008

An Early Birthday Celebration

When I arrived to work, I had a few surprises at my desk... My boss, Sandra, had put together this amazing basketful of flowers, she made a pineapple upside-down cake for me (she had asked me almost a month ago what my favorite cake was and while cheesecake is my favorite, I blurted pineapple upside-down cake because when I think of my favorite birthdays in the past, I think of all those summers at camp meeting that Mom made me that cake and Bob made homemade ice cream). Sandra also knitted me a wash cloth and made a sign for my desk. All my co-workers signed a card and one co-worker, Kathy, put together a huge bowl of fruit!Don't worry, I only wore the sign on my shirt for the picture! Oh, and Trina, another co-worker, gave me a pretty interesting rendition of "Happy Birthday". It was all so very sweet and I had a great day of people coming over to my cube and getting cake and giving birthday wishes! I have never had anything this special at any other job I've ever had!

After work, I had about an hour to get ready before heading over to practice the songs for the fiddle fest, but had to make a quick stop because my phone antenna decided, that day, to fall out! So, I went over there and the lady told me I had to leave it there for an hour so they could fix it! "Um... you want me to leave my phone here for an hour? I don't think I've ever driven without my phone before... what if something happened? Okay... Well... you might wanna turn the ringer off, because I'm sure I'll get a ton of calls while I'm away." Yeah... Kinda interesting that all that came out of my mouth, then I realized what a teenager I sounded like and I wanted to get out of there fast! Ha-ha!After practice I met with about 14 people to have dinner at El Rodeo. Even Anthony was able to make it! Isn't this just the cutest picture of his smile? He is such a happy adorable little boy!
Everyone knew that I didn't want the birthday song, but then the guys came over and threw a hat on my head and for some reason, have a tradition to put the whipped cream on the person's face! I had seen it done the week before and I really didn't want any in my nose!
I was fast on my toes though and after they got me... I got the guy right back! Afterwards, the other waiters told me that no one has ever gotten Ramos back like I did and he does that to everyone!
I was trying to figure out who told them that it was my birthday and everyone kept telling me it wasn't them, which I didn't believe for a second... until Jason came over and told me that he was talking to one of his old bosses and his wife and telling them that we were there for my b-day and the wife asked if they had sung to me already. Jason told her that I didn't want it, but she said that wasn't a good answer and told her waiter to do it!


Oh, well, all's well that end's well, right? I had a great time!

3 comments:

Natalie said...

That was really nice of your co-workers to think of you on your birthday! They did a lot for not knowing you for very long.

Tina in CT said...

How nice of your boss and co-workers. Looks like a nice day.

Rachael said...

Wow. You have really nice co-workers.

Now I understand why you asked the waiter if he wanted his cake in his face. I wondered...