May 13, 2007

What's your cake?

Growing up, I always remember Ryan's birthday with the Cherry Crunch Cake, a jar of cherries covered with a yellow cake mix, butter, and pecans sprinkled on top. I love that cake! (minus the nuts)! Natalie's birthday's almost always came with an ice cream cake from Dairy Queen! I still love that fudgy-chocolate layer in the middle! And for me? For about five or so years in a row, Bob always made me a Blackberry Cobbler (fresh-picked at the Redwood Camp meeting) along with home-made ice cream and Mom would add a pineapple upside-down cake! I'll take one of each, please!
Well, I have gone beyond figuring out what Jason's cake is... On his dad's birthday in February, Jason told me to make German Chocolate Cake because it was Ron's favorite... then in March, he wanted me to bring a German Chocolate Cake to his mom's birthday gathering because it too was her favorite... mmm...
Last Sunday, May 6, 2007 was Jason's 27th birthday and because the last two b-day's in his family included GCC, I decided to change it up a little bit (I don't even like it because it has a coconut and nut frosting on top) and so I made him a Rachael Ray "Strawberries and Cream Cake" with three layers of cake, whipped cream with marscopone cheese and fresh cut strawberries and fresh strawberry glaze.


It was so beautiful and one of the best cakes I've ever eaten! I was so happy to make this for him! He, too, was very thankful and ate most of it, although I did notice that something just wasn't right...
Today, we went to his mom's house for Mother's Day dinner and there it was... a German Chocolate Cake! Well, I think it's official. I guess I'm going to have to get used to the coconut and nuts getting stuck in my teeth for a while...
Update: While Jason and I were at his mom's today, we were going through old pictures of Jason as a little boy, and what did we find? Yep, a picture of him when he was about 5 or 6 years old with his dad and brother, in front of... yes, a German Chocolate Cake!

PROOF! I just added this picture to show proof of this whole German Chocolate Cake Craze! Jason, is the cute little boy on the right, his dad is the tall one, and the cake, well, it's in the middle...
So, my dear readers (few and far between, I know) What is your cake?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My favorite cake is Angel food. However, I like just about any kind of cake.

Love,

Mom

Lori said...

I like a lot of cakes, but my recent favorite is probably Sandra Kay's fresh strawberry cake with sweet cream frosting. No buttercream for me!!

Shannon said...

I love coffee cake. I'm not much of sweets person, (I do love candy bars though), but sad as it is... I love Little Debbie coffee cakes. As far as cakes in general go... make mine white.