October 22, 2008

Domestic Violence Awareness Month

October is domestic violence awareness month.
Tonight there is an event for the local safe shelter. This shelter provides services to survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault. It first started as a 24-hour crisis line for women immediately in need then became an actual building provided for survivors.
Throughout the year, they host events to raise money and awareness, including tonight's Candle Light Vigil in memory of victims of domestic violence.
A friend of mine is on the board and has hosted many events to raise money. One such event was a dance-a-thon. Money was raised and people had to dance. The person who danced the longest won half the money. One guy literally danced for over four hours. FOUR HOURS! While it seemed a little on the crazy side, there was a lot of money raised! And for a good cause too!
Tonight, my friend has volunteered me to sing. So, I am singing for the event tonight. A song by Sara Bareilles Gravity. If you get a chance, listen to that song. It's an amazing song.

My sister Rachael is one that has encouraged me, through her actions of raising money to make Christmas happen for Russian Orphans.
I encourage you all to do something for someone or for a cause that is dear to your heart.

5 comments:

Cecelia said...

Good luck. Wish I could hear you sing. Love you.

Rachael said...

Yes, do good on your song! (But, I'm sure you will...)

Lori said...

Good for you, hope it goes well.

Anonymous said...

It's a great cause! Good luck on the song!!! Wish I could hear you sing!

Natalie said...

How did it go? What in the world do you sing at a place like that.