October 13, 2008

"And it just jumped off the roof!"

It's already Monday and when I reflect back on my weekend, all I can remember is that I spent a lot of time with Rachael and the kids (minus Kristen who went with Lori to New York). We had a lot of fun, too!

Katya is big on climbing trees and I couldn't help but tell Rachael every time she was in one so she'd have to get down, just because it scared me so bad that she was going to fall and break and arm or something, but then... that's what kids do, right? I was able to snap the picture above before Rachael told her to get down!
The boys were playing inside the house and were just so energetic, that I suggested they use their energy outside and rake the leaves up into a big pile so they could jump in it!
It went for a couple of cute pictures, but they didn't get ALL the leaves!
And at one point, Ben found out what other things could be found in the backyard (when there are pets!) Oh, and has anyone else noticed how good Ben is getting at looking at the camera during pictures???
So, here we are... a picture of the Praying Mantis the kids found in the back yard... it somehow ended up in the front yard with the kids, after being played with for a while... then ended up on the roof, where if found its end. I asked Jack what happened to the Praying Mantis and he said that Katya would want to tell me about it. So, I asked Katya. "Well, it just flew up to the roof, and then it just jumped off the roof! And now it's dead."
As dramatic and so very sad as it is... it was pretty funny! Good luck to the next specimen that finds itself in the backyard!

6 comments:

Elle J said...

Katya. To the point. Very cute.

Do you have a lot of those bugs around your area? Are they as creepy in real life as they appear in the picture? They fly too? Does it seem like a bird coming your way? It looks so huge. Ewh! I am not into bugs, so anything larger than a Potato Bug freaks me out; especially those with wings.

Natalie said...

Did you know it's a crime in Pennsylvania to kill a praying mantis? At least it was when we were kids. You were concerned about her falling out of THAT tree? She could fall on her head and not get hurt in THAT tree! You really are paranoid.

Tina in CT said...

What a fantastic picture of Katya in the tree!!!!!!

The poor praying mantis.

Rachael said...

The praying mantis really was HUGE. And, we were joking that it committed suicide to escape the kids! They played with it for a long time before it met it's end.

And, that little tree in front is NOT supposed to be climbed in, because the branches have snapped before. Which, yes, it kind of dangerous, most mostly irks me 'cause it messes up my tree! But, she WAS way high up in the backyard trees all weekend too.

CATHY said...

Looks like fun. I was a tree climber when I was younger, I even had a tree house where I played with my Barbie Dolls.
Tom bought a praying mantis cacoon this summer, it only hatched one that we know of. It was suppose to hatch several. We like them around the yard.

Lori said...

Trees scare me too, remember Linda First our babysitter when we were kids? One of the other girls that went there after school (katie) fell out of the tree and broke her leg and almost had to be in a body cast but then they went with a pinning. But it was a long healing process and ever since then I never climbed a tree.