November 20, 2008

The "Magic" of an 8.5 x 11 piece of paper

Premise:
The department I work in is unique. For some reason, no matter what the criteria is, 8.5 x 11 in. forms are printed out for any and every event and/or class you can think of, to show accomplishment. Oh, and then everyone posts them, inside a clear hard plastic cover, all over their cubicles.
I have zero.

Story:
Today, I had a two hour Effective Presentation class I was able to attend today at work. Everyone had to give a 3-5 minute presentation on any city or famous person of our choosing. This class is strictly educational on how to give a Power Point presentation. There were very interesting and entertaining presentations given today including the founder of the House of David, the inventor of windshield wipers, Dwight Shrute III, and my presentation on Stephenie Meyer.
Just before the end of the class session, the instructor asked us if we had any questions.
I had one.
"Are we going to get any paper awards for coming to this class?"
Followed by a chorus of laughter, of course. I was laughing too, but then told them that I was kind of serious and went on to explain that everyone has them but me. I'm new and haven't attended any kind of course of any kind, until now, and I told them that the person next to me had a whole wall full of these random "awards" showing every-single-event that she has attended to in the last two years!
It was all light-hearted and pretty funny, and the instructor told me that I could come over to his department afterwards and he'd print one out for me. I thought that was really sweet, but was just a little embarrassed (even though I really did want it!) so I told him, "No, I better go back to work."
I then went back to work and was on a call when the guy showed up with a few other people and an 8.5 x 11 piece of paper in his hand! I quickly got off the phone and he handed me the form. Now, I don't know what it all said, but it was colorful, had my name on it, and looked very official! Soon, almost the entire department were standing up and watching the 'spectacle' that was going on. And then, the funniest thing happened... THEY ALL STARTED CLAPPING!
Ha-ha!!!
It was so hilarious! (And I was so embarrassed!) And just to make the moment even better, I held up my "award" above my head and did a full circle so everyone could see! Then my boss came over and shook my hand, then her boss came over and shook my hand! Once all the fuss had died down a bit, one of my co-workers came over and gave me an "official" clear hard plastic cover. Placed my "award" inside, and then hung it on my wall!
It was the funniest thing ever! But let me tell you, it was great!
Now, I feel like a "real" employee!

6 comments:

Rachael said...

You crazy girl.

Elle J said...

You made it!! That's awesome and way to speak up. Having worked in a company that sounds verrrry similar; I could picture the scenario exactly. Good for you! :)

Tina in CT said...

Congrats!!!!

Cecelia said...

I bet it was easy for you to do a presentation. I agree with Rachael! "You crazy girl!"

Shannon said...

You?.... Embarrassed? Way to cover. I can see it happening too. Just as you explained it. ha.

The Gift Gal said...

I love love LOVE this posting - it makes me smile soo big. Funny thing is I TOTALLY know what you are feeling - and I love that I got to experience the clapping as well!!! Awesome chick!!