August 4, 2008

There's no crying in baseball!

Jason had a softball game tonight. Just before the game, I headed to the gas station to grab some water and then went home to change from my work clothes to comfy clothes, then headed to the game. It had just rained a few hundred gallons earlier, so there were a lot of puddles, which was pretty gross, since I was wearing flip flops...
Once I made it to the bleachers, the coach said, "Hey, what can I do to get you to play tonight?" Wow, I'm so not dressed for that! I looked at my flip flops and told him I would, if they really, really needed me. Basically, if there aren't two girls, they get an out for every inning. So I played barefoot. Not my choice, but I had to help!
Everything was going great until some guy decided to slide into home and I'm the catcher... yeah, he dug his cleats into my bare foot and it hurt so bad!
I started to tear up, but remembered what Tom Hanks said in "A league of the their own" about crying in baseball so I tried to hold it in.
A few minutes later, I was at bat. My foot still hurt really bad and I was on the verge of crying, but trying to hold it in. So, there I was, at bat and my eyes are almost 3/4 full of tears, but I try to continue on but I struck out. I walked back to our bleachers and there go the tears! (I wasn't bawling or anything, but the water in my eyes were dropping down to my cheeks a little bit, in a tear shaped form).
Oh, great! Just what I need! Now they all think I'm crying because I struck out, but really, it's because all my toenail polish was scraped off with some guys metal cleats and my feet and toes are burning!
A little embarrassing. Okay, maybe more than a little... okay, definitely more than a little embarrassing when a few players came over and patted my back because they thought I was crying because I struck out!
Fortunately, I was able to focus and get through the game, but in my defense, my foot still hurts a little and I'm most likely NOT going to play softball ever again!

I need a pedicure!

5 comments:

Cecelia said...

You'll have to keep an extra pair of shoes and socks in the car just in case this ever happens again. Hope your foot feels better soon. You were a good sport! I would have said, "No!"

Tina in CT said...

My feet are aching just visualizing it. I'd also have said, NO!" You were a good sport to jump in barefoot. Cleats on your bare feet. Ouch!

Elle J said...

Now that is some tough ball playing! How many guys did you see out there playing barefoot?! You go, Girl!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for playing babe. You did really well and were a great help. Sorry your foot got hurt..I hope I was able to comfort you a bit. Your a tough one Francie.

Jason

Anonymous said...

Hello sweet feet. Bad joke I know. Couldn't help myself. I know what I am going to make for you now with those toilet paper rolls you wanted me to use to invent something. Wish I could send you a pic. Love ya, =D