October 16, 2007

Let's give 'em something to blog about...

Most of you already know this already, but I thought I should post the story, for those that don't...
I was in a karaoke contest this last Saturday night, and I sang Delicious Surprise from JoDee Messina.
Lori helped me figure out a few moves on Friday and I practiced singing, so I was ready to go!
My friend, Missy, also made it to the contest, so she was in the line up, right after me.
I was so nervous right before I sang, but then when I got up there, I made direct eye contact with the judges (thanks to all those speech classes!) and I worked the audience and sang like never before...
My friend also sang a really good song and placed 10th.
Mind you, we were 27 of a few hundred people and only the top 10 won something! She won $150.00!!!
My friends told me that I'd definitely make it, so I thought they were just being nice, you know how friends are, they tell you what you want to hear...
Well, the host went on to tell us who won...
Missy was 10th place
Veronica was 9th...
and so on and so forth...
Then came 6th place. Not me.
Then 5th place. Not me. Again. Missy's husband Jimmy had started a chant by this time of "Francie, Francie, Francie" which was totally embarrassing because I thought I had a chance but not a high chance of making anything above number 5!
Well, finally came 3rd place, and I looked at Jason, and told him that it was okay, I'll try again next year...
Then the host called my name for 2nd place!
I WON $1,000.00! IN CASH! THAT'S 10 $100.00 BILLS! HOLY COW!!!!!!
I held out my hands and tried to keep count, but looked up, laughing/crying at Rick, the host, and told him I lost count!
Then everyone came over and gave me hugs and I was so in shock!
Wow!
The 1st place winner sang awesome and made $1,200.
I guess my friends weren't lying after all!
A few other contestants told me that I deserved every penny of it, so that made me feel really good and I'm just so happy!
Jason, Betsy and Steve, and Jason's mom and two aunt's were all there as well as all Missy's family and they were all so excited!
I just wanted to place, to cover the expenses of the $20 CD and the $20 sweater I bought for the occasion...
Didn't think I'd make it so high, but I'm super happy about it!
I'm really happy that me and Missy placed! That was the best part, I think.
Hopefully, my family may be able to come to one of the contests, one of these days. That would be cool!
Either way, just wanted to share with you all!

7 comments:

Cecelia said...

How exciting!! Maybe you can sing your song for me when I come to visit.

Rachael said...

I don't even know that song. You must have made a good choice though!

Congrats!!!

Now, put that money to use, and go get yourself internet access! :)

Shannon said...

I thought you already had internet access.

Congratulations!

~ V ~ said...

That is exciting! I've never heard of that song either. Did anybody video your performance?

Lori said...

By the way, I think I should get some sort of cut for helping you by giving you performance ideas, seeing as that was a big part of you winning!
Seriously though, good job, I wish I could have been there to see it.

Anonymous said...

I am proud of you honey and you did deserve every penny of the money. You seriously stepped up your performance. I was impressed. Now go and get some internet access.

Jason

Anonymous said...

so...what types of "moves" did Lori show you...lol. I'm just curious is all.