July 10, 2009

He asked me to marry him and I said, "yes!"

July 7, 2009 ~
We had about half the family at the beach. Jason was running a bit late, so when he got there, I'd been there for a little while, so I asked him if he wanted to go for a walk towards the pier. He said yes, but told me he wanted to change into his swim trunks. My sister, Shannon, asked if she could go with us and before I could answer, Jason said that it wouldn't be too romantic with a third wheel. Then we all laughed. Jason changed then we headed towards the pier, which didn't look at far as it really was. It was so beautiful that day. It was a bit clouded over and windy, but still pretty hot.
Jason was really funny. He had told me he was going to ask me to marry him before the Fourth of July, but that was because we were planning on leaving for Oklahoma City, before my Great Aunt Kate passed away, so I knew it could be a while longer. On our walk, he was asking me stuff like "So... when do you think I should ask you to marry me?" and "So... how do you want me to ask you?" He didn't want to ask me too close to the funeral arrangements. I told him Friday the 10th would be good, or Sunday. Just throwing out ideas, you know. Oh, and I also told him he could sing me a song, play me a song on his guitar, or write me a song and sing that to me too. Either of those methods would work for me! LOL
As we walked towards the pier, we realized it was quite a long walk. We were about to turn around when we saw this tree that had fallen down and had the most unique roots. We walked over to take a closer look at it and noticed that some of the roots were connected to each other and all intertwined. Jason said, "Well, this looks like a good spot to remember!" And I was like, "Yeah, it does... well... I guess so... well... I don't know... for what?" And as I turned towards him, he had the box out of his pocket and was lowering himself down on one knee in the sand!!!
I was so happy and excited! And I couldn't stop smiling all day long!
He started out with "Franciska Helena LeeAnn..." and told me how much he loved me and that he wanted me to be the mother of his children. And that he wanted to spend the rest of his life with me. And a whole bunch of other sweet things!
By that time, I was kneeling down in front of him in the sand, too!
After a short pause, he finally said, "Francie? Will you marry me?"
I said, "yes!"
And the ring fit perfectly!
I was so happy that I couldn't stop jumping up and down in the sand and twirling around! We held hands the whole way back! (For all of you that don't know Jason very well... he does NOT hold hands in public, so this was a very, VERY, big deal!).
We were so happy to tell the family when we got back to where they were sitting at the beach, but as we got closer, we noticed that everyone had left! Upon closer inspection, we realized that Rachael, Kristen, and Shannon were still in the parking lot waiting for Natalie to bring Katya back for her gymnastics lesson, so we went up to the parking lot. I tried to hold my swimsuit cover with my left hand so that no one could see the ring yet. Once Kristen came out of the bathroom, I said, "Hey! Look what I found!"
My family was pretty lucky because I got to tell almost all of them in person since they were all here! We had all already planned to meet at Lori's house for dinner so it worked out perfectly!

7 comments:

Rachael said...

That is pretty sweet, Francie.

Elle J said...

What a good man you have ~ and what a terrific memory for you and your family!! Thanks for sharing and I can't wait to read about all your wedding ideas and plans too! :)

Tina in CT said...

I had goosebumps reading it. What a nice memory you'll have.

I will be looking forward to hearing about all the wedding plans from your mom.

~ V ~ said...

Congratulations! It's really smart planning a date like that. Ours is 7-8-90 and my hubby doesn't forget! It is kind of funny that ours was somewhat accidental. I didn't realize until we got our engraved glasses that we had such an unforgettable date. May God bless you both as you plan your life together!

honestgrl said...

Congratulations again! I'm so very excited for you. What a sweet guy you have.

Lori said...

I'm so happy for you and Jason, he will fit into our family well. 10-10-10 is such a cool wedding date. I can't wait to help with the planning. Don't turn into a bridezilla now, cause I think you have serious potential for that. Just kidding. Sort of.

Jack said...

Congratulations and best wishes to you both. And for a little added inspiration, I hope you'll check out this brief video -- ahamoment.com/pg/moments/view/197 -- one couple's "aha moment" that I think you'll identify with. Hope you enjoy it and the rest of the site, which was created by Mutual of Omaha to highlight inspirational stories and "aha moments" of all kinds.

Best,
jack@ahamoment.com