December 10, 2008

Parson Brown?

I'm sure all of you have heard of the famous Christmas song "Winter Wonderland". I've heard that song so many times in my lifetime. I really like that song, too!

"Sleigh bells ring, are you listening,
In the lane, snow is glistening
A beautiful sight,
We're happy tonight.
Walking in a winter wonderland.
Gone away is the bluebird,
Here to stay is a new bird
He sings a love song,
As we go along,
Walking in a winter wonderland.
In the meadow we can build a snowman,
Then pretend that he is Parson Brown
He'll say: Are you married?
We'll say: No man,
But you can do the job
When you're in town.
Later on, we'll conspire,
As we dream by the fire
To face unafraid,
The plans that we've made,
Walking in a winter wonderland."

Well, just the other day, I had it stuck in my head at work... and when I got to this part: "In the meadow we can build a snowman, then pretend that he is Parson Brown." I was then thinking about it and I always figured the singer wanted to pretend the snowman is this "parson brown" because I always figured it was a "skin" color and then they could get married... or something like that. So, I asked my local cube-mates at work what color "Parson Brown" really was, because I'd never seen it on a crayon or to describe any other brown color. It was then that I found out the truth.

"Parson" is a noun. A name for a minister or pastor. Used back when the lyricist, Richard B. Smith wrote it and published it in 1934. And "Brown" just happens to be the last name of this pastor guy/snowman!

So, here I am, 28 years old, finally finding out that the song I've been singing for practically 28 years, has to do with this snowman that they want to pretend is a pastor!

Please, somebody, tell me that I'm not the only person that did not know this!!!

7 comments:

Natalie said...

I'm surprised you took the time to research it. Remember that song we sang and we thought the words were "she's so backwards" and we were like, what do you think he means by backwards? like bad, or crazy, or doing it all wrong??? and then we listened really close and realized he was saying "she's a bad girl"...lol. that was kinda funny.

Rachael said...

Francie, that is too funny! (And yes...I did know what they meant, so sorry, can't help you there!)

Elle J said...

New to me ... and did you know this?! ... that tin foil and saran wrap have little triangles that you poke through the box on both sides to hold the roll in place in the box?! Some are just finding that out now too.

:)

Shannon said...

WOW! Elle J. I did not know that.

Francie, I'm in my 30's and had absolutely no idea. Never thought about it though.

Since your on the subject of Christmas songs...

That song Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire, well Andy is always joking how he is so glad he is not Ches (as in a person's name) and I always thought that the words went...
Later on we'll perspire, as we dream by the fire. Instead of conspire; I guess.

Singers forget that we don't know all the words like they do and they need to annunciate a bit better.

Tina in CT said...

I knew that Parson Brown was a person. Sorry.

I only found out about the aluminum foil, saran wrap, etc. trick with keeping the rolls in place. Why don't they print it in big font on the boxes?

Lori said...

If it makes you feel better, I took a little poll at work and no one knew that, including myself.

Anonymous said...

Well, the whole Parson Brown conspiracy can be laid to rest. The proper lyrics are: To pretend he's eating parsnips brown.