December 31, 2008

Guess who I saw Monday night?

Jason and I took "the kids" to a movie on Monday and on our way from getting a thousand snacks to the actual theater, I saw a couple ahead of us. They were getting candy from the candy machines. I wasn't positive of who the gentleman was, but I was pretty sure, but I turned around to ask Jason. He took a look and then confirmed that yes, it was in fact Mr. Ali and his wife!
The camera in my purse was burning a hole, but we just let him be and walked right by him with that feeling of awe and respect!
It was so cool! Just to have seen him!
I knew he lived in the area, but have never seen him before...
I didn't realize how many people have seen him before, until I started telling everyone about it!
When Jason was little, Mr. Ali came over and started chatting with him and his brother one morning at McDonald's. While it may be just a small part of a memory and Mr. Ali may not even remember that moment. But to two young boys, it was a highlight of their childhood!
Missy, a close friend of mine, told me she used to see him a lot when she was in high school. And yet another friend/co-worker told me that she was friends with one of his nephews once, and went over to his house and watched movies and that Mr. Ali would come downstairs and tell them jokes!
How exciting is that?
Well... I just had to share with you all!

Happy New Year to everyone!

4 comments:

Natalie said...

That's cool. I still have not seen him, but even if I did, I'm not sure I would recognize him. He's so old now. I did the same thing when I saw Ben Affleck and Matt Damon, I just let them go without one picture. Getting to talk to them and surf along side them for three days was good enough for me I guess.

Tina in CT said...

You mean Muhamed Ali the prize fighter?

Francie said...

Yup! Tina, I mean the prize fighter! Cool, huh?

Tina in CT said...

Yes!

We were having lunch one day in Sausalito and Bill Cosby was at a nearby table.