April 1, 2009

I've also been...

...busy with my job! Yes, I got a promotion of sorts. Where I work, everyone has to start out as a contract worker and then may or may not get hired in as a "real" employee. There have been lay-off's due to the economy and a hiring freeze, but I was a lucky one that was able to get hired in and this last Monday was my first day as a "real employee!" I used to think of myself as "Pinocchio" because I felt I wasn't "real", but now I am! Yay!
It's a lot better, too! I get vacation, better benefits, and more $!

They made an announcement to my team yesterday, so now I'm able to talk about it, and just this morning I found out about what I like to call "the hazing initiation". LOL It's not as bad as it sounds, but man, it's frustrating! When you switch from contract to "real" you have to switch all your access to every single program you have access to, over to your new information! So, this morning I got to work and was locked out of my computer! I have to use my computer to work, so I got on the phone with someone in India to help me figure it all out. He helped me enough to get into my computer, but I don't have everything switched over and he told me he'd call me back, and that was about four hours ago now... who knows? It might even be midnight over there, for all I know!

Hopefully, I can get this all figured out by the end of the week!

Oh, and I can't wait to get off work today, because I'm going to head over to JoAnn's and get some more fabric and take it over to Lori's house and work on purse #2! Yay!

Oh, and I've also been working on getting a new* car too! My '95 Saturn just isn't cutting it anymore and while it is my first car, and I will miss it, I've really got to move on! And I'm going to get a really good deal on another one too! Thanks to Natalie and her smart marrying skills, I'm going to by a car from her FIL! Oh, and thanks to Lori, who did my taxes for me, I will have enough money to pay for the car in full and not have to make any payments! And I checked with my car insurance company and they said it will only be about $10-$20 more a month than what I'm paying right now anyway!

So, yes, I've been really busy and haven't blogged much at all, or been in the mood to, but a lot has been going on, so I have a really good excuse!

*New = new to me!

4 comments:

Tina in CT said...

Congrats! I know the feeling as when I started with this company, I was hired through an agency and worked for 10 months in that role while posting for permanent positions here. When I was hired as a full time employee for this large company, I was thrilled - permanent job, benefits and more money. I hope to stay here for 8 more years (who knows, maybe longer) until I retire. Hope the economy goes along with my plans.

Have fun making another purse tonight and post pictures.

Have fun.

That's great that you are buying Lori's FIL's car. You are getting a good, used car and know it's history.

I had my taxes done last Sat. and am getting money back but surely not enough to cover a car.

Elle J said...

I was happy to come to the end of your post with all the good news and NOT read April Fools!! :) Yes to all your goodness! That is awesome!!

Rachael said...

Hey, you didn't say anything about a new car last night when you were here! I have to agree though, it's about time. Your little Saturn is overdue for retirement, but it has served you well!

Natalie said...

congrats on getting hired during a hiring freeze. That's quite an accomplishment.