June 24, 2008

Relay for Life!

I was able to be part of Relay for Life for the first time this weekend! I was on the Whirlpool team and while I signed up only a week before, I was still able to raise $70! Thanks to Derrick, Lori, Natalie, and Kathy!
Here's part of our team (my friend Ashlee is on the right). We sold socks and ducks for a buck to raise more during the 24-hour event. Ashlee and I volunteered to walk around the loop for about three hours (about 20 minutes it poured down rain!).
Each team had a booth to sell something or other. This year's theme was "Rockin' for a cure"!
We had to leave early in the afternoon because I had to watch Anthony for Lori from 3 to 8 p.m. But as a team, we raised over $10,000! And the entire event raised $503,483.07!
Both of us only had a week or so as team members but have come up with many ideas to raise money throughout the year, i.e. selling stuff (scarves) on Etsy.
At the event, I saw my friend, Ben, that I went to college with and lived next to my senior year in Washington state! I haven't seen him in almost exactly 5 years and it was pretty cool to see him again! His mom lives here in town and his younger brother died of cancer when he was a little boy, so she is usually part of the event every year!
After the relay, I headed over to watch Anthony. He's so cute and adorable! Here he is sitting up on his own, for a picture, but as soon as I took the shot, he started to fall over... sorry, Lori, at least I tried to take pictures! He was not in a very good mood the whole time! I tried everything I could think of, i.e. checking his diaper, holding him, playing with him, massaging his legs, reading him a book, laying on the floor with him, and changing his clothes (maybe he just didn't like what he was wearing!) but nothing seemed to work but taking him in the jogger for a walk through the fields. He started falling asleep in the jogger, so I tried getting him to sleep in his crib for about an hour and finally had to hold him in my arms and take a nap with him on the reclining chair! Hey, no problem! I wanted a nap anyway!

5 comments:

Lori said...

Sorry you had such a bad experience with Anthony. He really is usually happy. He does love stroller rides, so I'm glad you took him for a walk. Maybe he just needs more time with you to get used to him. You need to come and see him more often.

Francie said...

Nice one, Lori!

Teen : } said...

Hello there Ms. Francie. Its Teena fr Ca. How are you. So glad to see your blogs. I love you pictures. I'm a big picture person too. Congrats on your involvement and raising funds for the relay for life. I have a goal to do a relay or actual marathon by time I am the big "40" (not too far away) Well, you look beautiful in your sisters wedding. Nice to see you looking so happy as usual. I'm glad to hear you still sing. Have a grt. day. Keep taking those pics. Love, Teen fr CA

CATHY said...

You are such a nice Auntie. Hey, you tried everything with that little guy. He is such a cutie.

Shannon said...

I just saw the new picture for your blog on Rachael's site. Lookin Great! You must be doing really well on your program. You should give everyone a new update on you official progress soon.