June 20, 2008

Another day with Ben and Katie

Getting off work at 4:30 p.m. has its advantages... but today, I just didn't have anything to do! I first called Rachael to see what she was doing and she was on her way to the hospital. Then I called Lori and she wasn't doing anything (which didn't sound very fun to me). I also knew that Jason was busy, and Betsy and her husband were in Chicago to celebrate their one year anniversary, and my friend Ashley's dad was in town... and my cousin Mindy wouldn't answer her phone! So, I decided to invite myself over to Rachael and Derrick's house and do stuff with Ben and Katie.
We first had to stop and get gas, but then we headed to Taco Bell to get some dinner, then we drove to the beach and ate dinner at a picnic table. Then we headed down to the lighthouse!
I've lived here for a few days over five years now and today was the second time I've ever gone down to the lighthouse! The first time was two days ago!Here's the lighthouse from the end of the pier.And this is the little mini lighthouse at the end of the pier.

He may not look like he's having fun, but he really is!Trying to figure out what to do, we found this log wedged into the sand, so we figured that we should try and get it loose. Let me tell you, it was a very old heavy log, too! We tried pushing, pulling, kicking, etc. and it wouldn't budge! So, I had them start digging the sand while I searched for something to help. We found another log, that wasn't so big and old, but was actually quite heavy, so I had Katie on one side and me and Ben on the other bringing it over and we dug a hole under the old log and wedged the younger log underneath, then we all went to the other end and pushed it up, while the old log moved an inch or so. So, then, we'd start again and keep trying!
Finally, we got it free! Then we said farewell to our dear friend, as we sent it on its way to the great unknown (Lake Michigan)!
We had a great time at the beach! We did get a little wet though and on the way back to the car, Ben's shorts kept falling to his ankles and he'd say "Fray! LOOK!" Which would then cause everyone within hearing distance to turn and look! So, I had to have him keep his hand in his pocket to hold his pants up! Then we had almost made it to the car, when Katie started telling a group of people about the fossil she found on the beach of an alligator! (She actually found a small skeleton and asked me what I thought it was and I told her probably a small crab or something like that! But NOT an alligator!) It wasn't but a few seconds later, we heard them bust up laughing! Katie asked me why they were laughing so hard, I tried to explain it, but I still don't think she got it!
After the beach we went to my house and terrorized hung out with the cats, then headed to Dairy Queen before we went back home... Until next time, guys!

4 comments:

Rachael said...

The kids had a great time with you, thanks for taking them for the evening!

Lots of great shots. I'm glad I was able to snag your memory card and download them all. I'll have to post some of the ones you didn't! You have a knack for getting good shots. Maybe you missed your calling as a photographer.

CATHY said...

Francie, that lighthouse is gorgeous looking. I love pics like that. I agree with rachel, you missed your calling as a photograper.

Taco Bell and Dairy Queen on the same day...I want to hang out with you!

Shannon said...

Looks like you three had a good time. Maybe you would like to come and take me to dinner sometime soon!

Tina in CT said...

The kids are lucky to have such a great aunt that lives close by.