February 22, 2009

Bowtie pasta and lemon cookies

Jason reminded me tonight to make sure I post about the special meal he made for me on Valentine's Day. His specialty: bowtie pasta with an Alfredo sauce including sauteed mushrooms, broccoli and pea pods and bread sticks. This meal is perfect for the both of us, because it's vegetarian!
This coming Tuesday happens to be Fat Tuesday and Mardi Gras; therefore, I'm hosting a "desserts only" P.H.A.T. FAT TUESDAY food day! I made lemon cookies tonight for it, and plan on making a White Chocolate and Red Raspberry Cheesecake tomorrow night.
These cookies were very easy and simple too!

Heat oven to 350 degrees.

1 box (Betty Crocker Super Moist) lemon cake mix (or whatever kind of cake mix you want to try)
2 eggs
1/2 cup of vegetable oil

Mix it all together real good. Then place in the refrigerator to chill for about an hour. Take it out and roll into balls, then roll in sugar and place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for about 8-12 minutes (can vary, I have a gas range and it took the full 12 minutes). Place on a cooling rack then you can ice them with either cake icing or melted white chocolate (pictured above) which reduces the chances of the cookies sticking to each other. A friend of mine uses almond bark sometimes as the icing on her chocolate-cake cookies.

6 comments:

Tina in CT said...

Both look very good. Would you please post the bowtie pasta recipe? Thanks

trigirl82 said...

That looks and sounds sooooo good! I'm starving! Haha. :)

Rachael said...

Oh, thanks for reminding me about Fat Tuesday. I think I'll celebrate that too. It's the best part of Lent! Have to remember our Polish heritage and get some paczki!

Elle J said...

Very fancy dinner! I had never had peas in my Alfredo until I went to an expensive Italian Restaurant a few years ago. Talk about YUM!!

The cookies look really good and the tip about the no-stick frosting is a good one. Lemon beats Chocolate in my book. :)

CATHY said...

Both look so delicious. I got up this morning and decided to fast, so what do I do, check out your page and see a bunch of goodies.
Yes, I would love the bow tie pasta recipe too. I will have to try those lemon cookies tomorrow, for today I fast. :(

Lori said...

I had a craving for cookies the other day, I would have made some but looked in my pantry and no chocolate chips, then I decided to make snickerdoodles, but looked in my pantry and no shortning. Still unwilling to give up I decided I'd just use butter instead, cant be that different right? Well no butter either. Bummer! I still havent had any good cookies. If you have any left, bring them over okay.
You can make that pasta for me too if you want to cook dinner for your poor pregnant sister this week.