May 17, 2008

Habitat for Humanity

One of the things I was so excited about, with my new job, was to volunteer at some of the events that Whirlpool hosts... including Harbor Habitat for Humanity where volunteers get together and help build houses for people that otherwise wouldn't be able to have a house to their name.
About three or four weeks ago, I signed up to help partially build a house, today, and I've been so excited about it. Now, I know it was just as I expected. Fun. Exercise. And Sun! (Okay, so I did get kinda burnt, but I think I'll be okay).
Betsy and I got to the site around 8 a.m. and worked until 3 p.m.There were a a bunch of volunteers there, which made for a great group and a lot of helping hands.Here, you see us all gathered to begin. One gentleman read a short clip about a sculptor who knew that excellence is something to strive for. Basically, even if we do something and we have to tear it out and redo it, it's okay, we just want to make it right. (Most of us didn't have this kind of experience.)The house to the right is the one that we worked on. We had to finish the roof. No, we didn't have crane, so we had to get each of those small sections, there laying on top of each other on the ground, by that sign, up on the roof and put them where they needed to go.This was written at the threshold of the front door.
Here you can see how we started the house in the morning.Here's a group of us, getting the beam ready to lift up on the roof. (Actually, this picture was posed so Natalie could take a picture of us working!)Once we got the beams over the side of the house, we'd lay them across and this pointy part would just sink in the middle. Then we'd get everyone ready and lift up the pointy part and slide the beam from one side of the house to the other and into the slots.
The first one took about 45 minutes, but then we were able to figure out what was going on and where to go and got into a pretty good rhythm.
This shows our finished product (for now).

Then we had to measure every two feet on these 2x4's and hammer in these huge nails (16's) then hammer those onto the top of the beams to steady everything.Another inspirational moment: In all thou ways, acknowledge God, he shall direct your path.
Here we are, done for the day.

I guess I never realized before that the roof of a house is included as the foundation of the house. I had so much fun, met lots of people, got a great workout, and was able to help someone that I don't even know have a house of their own.

6 comments:

Francie said...

Sounds like a day well spent; hopefully worth the sunburn too.

Tina in CT said...

A feel good day. I wanted to do it last year when my dept. at work volunteered with Habitat but it was the middle of the summer and I just can't handle the heat. As it turned out, it was an extremely hot and humid day. If they did it in the spring or fall, I would definitely sign up.

Cecelia said...

That was nice of you to do that.

Natalie said...

you didnt get a picture of Walter? Your a terrible aunt.

Renata said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Renata said...

Hello Francie!!
I heard about your website today by my co-worker/friend Kim Lomonaco. Love the blog!! I am so happy you really enjoyed yourself helping to build my home. On this day I was unable to stay at the site due to the partner families having to go pick out the color of siding, roofing, counter tops and more. I so appreciate all the volunteers that sacifice there time to help build someones home they don't even know. I can't even begin to express how awesome this experience has been and what it means to me. This will be a new beginning for my kids and I. They are just as excited as I am. God is so good. Thanks again. My God bless you!!!