June 29, 2010

Jason's 1st Airplane Flight Ever!

Ever since Jason's birthday, I was trying to think of something special to do for him. On Mother's Day, on my way to Natalie's house, because I thought she was going to have her baby, I saw a small plane fly over me and remembered that Jason has never flown in a plane before!

I got on the phone and called my friend Joe, who's a pilot, but she said she didn't have a license to fly with other people. Then I remembered that my friend, Betsy's brother-in-law has a plane and likes to fly around, so I called her and she was able to talk to her sister, Lillian, and BIL, Jeff.

The plans were set for Sunday the 27th of June.

I was so excited and I hyped up my excitement whereas Jason was a little nervous! His mind was racing with what to expect! He's the type of guy that likes to hold his Christmas presents in his hands, shake them, and then guess what each present is. And he's usually right too! I told him, in this case, he can't just shake a box to figure out what his surprise was, and I really think it was driving him crazy! But there was just no way to give in!

The day started just fine, but then the clouds rolled in, and we've been having a ton of thunderstorms lately anyways, so another one wasn't too much of a surprise, but for the fact that we almost had to reschedule!

After we got back from looking at tuxes and registering for the wedding, the storm was gone, but it was so windy! We still were waiting to see if the wind would die down enough so we could fly.

Thankfully, it did!

We got in my car and I started driving. I told him that I really wanted to blindfold him, but he was having none of that! We headed to the tiny local airport in town and it didn't take long for him to figure out what we were going to do...

Jeff and Lillian met us at the airport and we followed them to one of the hangers, where their plane was inside. We were both so excited! I've been in planes before, even a small plane, but this was different! I know small planes can be really bumpy and I was hoping and praying that it wouldn't be a bad first experience for Jason.

The hanger had about six small planes inside. The one we flew was white and blue. A 1966 beauty! Jeff was telling us all about the plane and what everything did. Lillian and I sat in the back and Jason and Jeff sat in the front (it just held four people). But the windows were large and we could see so much! It really felt open!

The take off was the smoothest take off ever! The sky was clear and the sun was close to setting, but not quite. It was spectacular! We flew over Lake Michigan, we could see the Chicago skyline, we flew over the spot on the beach where he proposed to me, we flew over our house, Lori's house, and Rachael's house and basically just all over the county!

It was just amazing!




Yes, Jason actually got to fly the plane for about five minutes! JEALOUS!!!

This is a picture of Jason and my house and the lovely "pond" we have in our backyard!
Here's where you can see the skyline of Chicago!



What a beautiful sunset to end such a perfect day!

2 comments:

Elle J said...

You look amazing! What a great gift for your fiance. I am so glad that weather worked for you ~ great photos!

Tina in CT said...

A great birthday present for Jason. That'll be hard to top next year.

You look fantastic!

Are you going on a honeymoon that involves flying?