December 29, 2009

A New Christmas Tradition

Rachael had an idea this year. To make cookies and take them to the local nursing home and sing carols to all the residents. Somewhat in hopes that this would be a "pay-it-forward" to those who may not have anyone to visit them on Christmas day in the nursing home this year. Hoping that someone like us would go to the nursing home our Grandma Annie is in, just because, even if they don't know anyone there too!
There was a huge group of us that went to the local nursing home on Christmas Day: Mom, Bob, Rachael and Derrick and their four kids, Madeline, Natalie, and Jason and I. Mom brought her accordion to play and we started going room to room and singing songs like "Silent Night" and "Away in a Manger".

We met this lady at the beginning and she liked us so much, she followed us along for almost the entire time! She seemed to like the cookies and tried to hide them in her lap under a newspaper!
This lady was so happy to see us! When we went in her room, we asked her if we could sing a Christmas carol to her and she told me that she would love to hear us sing and that because the weather was so bad, no one was able to come and visit her, we were her only visitors all day!

The kids were such good sports! I think they really liked being there for the residents!
I'm sure they loved our cookies and singing, but they were really interested in mom's accordion! They just loved it!
All the kids were such little sweethearts!
This lady followed us around for a little while too and kept telling us adults that the kids keep thinking that she's one of them! So cute!
We thought we were all done and started heading to the door when this lady and her roommate called out to us. They must have had their door shut when we were walking by and we missed them! But they said they had been waiting for us to come to their room! They were so happy!
There were many who were awake and welcomed our singing, and there were those that were laying in their beds, not sleeping, but looked as if they were a little out of it, but once we started singing, and saw them mouth all the words to the songs, we knew they appreciated us being there. A couple of the ladies started crying once they heard us singing, which brought tears to my eyes too!
The more comfortable we got being there, the more hugs we started giving to the residents. Even the kids got into the hugging mood!
One lady was playing on her laptop and when we came in her room, she said "no cookies for me!" but she said we could still sing to her... as she continued to play on her laptop. After we sang, I asked her if she'd like a hug and she said, "honey, I can ALWAYS use a hug!"
We had so much fun! Jason and I would like to make this a tradition!

9 comments:

Lori said...

That was so nice of you guys, I am definitely in next year.

Rachael said...

I'm glad you guys had fun. I definitely think it's a good tradition to keep. I was really impressed with how much the kids enjoyed it and how well they did. And, I'm glad you posted the pictures so I can copy them! :)

Natalie said...

tradition? only if someone went visit gr. annie. I hope someone did for her sake. it was hard going to each room. we need to make better plans to get them all in one place and then visit individually the ones who are bed ridden. Way to sneak a fat pic of me by the way. Everyone on fb has been bugging me for a prego pic and I'm not about to post one. i hate that. I guess if they find this post on their own then they will get to see, otherwise too bad for them and good for me... lol...

Tina in CT said...

What a thoughtful and sweet thing to do for the elderly and I'm sure they appreciated it so much - especially for the ones with no family. So touching to see the pictures of the patients with the kids.

Natalie: I spotted your prego picture and you look adorable.

Rachael, Katya, Jack and Cecelia: We thought of you today as we stopped at Mir Dyetstva for dinner on our way home tonight and the girls made paper sculptures. The man who started all of them was there tonight and he told Tami that he has a studio now. She'll take the girls there next week. Tami will email you his website. Natalia made me a dachshund paper sculpture to bring home.

I finally had my Russian Troika Ride like in Dr. Zhivago. A video will be on my blog later tonight.

Elle J said...

Wonderful tradition!!! Your pictures are so caring and full of Christmas spirit.

Natalie ~ I saw your pg belly and you are ADORABLE!!!

MoscowMom said...

You brought tears to my eyes! What a wonderful tradition!!!!

A Room to Grow said...

That's awesome!

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Dore' said...

What a wonderful gift for those residents. And a great tradition!