June 17, 2009

Habitat for Humanity 2009

I signed up to help with Habitat for Humanity again this summer. It was pretty neat to do the the first house and help with the rafters. This time I got to help put the siding on a house, which kind of reminds me of putting up wallpaper, because we had to keep measuring and using the level, then a few times we had to tear it down, and redo it because it wasn't level, but, it was still a pretty fun experience!
This is my friend/co-worker Jill who signed up with me.And I learned that the seams need to be at different areas on the siding, or else it will look funny, and also, the overlap for the seams need to face the back of the house so when you look at the sides, you can't see them from the front of the house, and from the porch out to the side of the house, you shouldn't see it there either.
The lines also have to be level from each of the corners.

This is Rachel, the woman who will be living in this house. I don't have all the criteria for Habitat for Humanity, but I do know that the person that is going to live in it, has to help build it too! This specific house was one they wanted only women to work on, as well (besides the supervisors).
Here I am, drenched! Just before lunch it started pouring down rain and I was soaking wet and then it got kinda cold as well, so me and Jill stayed for only 5 hours and then left. But we had a lot of fun and I'm really glad I was able to help out this summer!
I had signed up for the week build in Atlanta this August, but just found out yesterday, that I wasn't chosen, but it's okay. I now have a weeks vacation to figure out what to do with this year, now!

4 comments:

Elle J said...

That is really neat that you are doing this! My brother was a project manager for a HH that the company he worked for sponsored; he learned so much and felt great to have been part of that organization while they built the house.

Natalie said...

looks like a lot of fun! Now come and finish my sun porch since you know everything.

Tina in CT said...

What a good feeling you must have had knowing you were helping the lady whose house you worked on. Special that you got to meet the future home owner too.

Tina in CT said...

What a good feeling you must have had knowing you were helping the lady whose house you worked on. Special that you got to meet the future home owner too.